stupid question and dont treat me like a dumbass for asking i just dont under stand how it works

how does the doc know how much ur baby weighs (sp?) in the womb???
cant they get the babys weight confussed with the moms or is there some special thing they use that can tell the diff

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They usually determine it by how big you're getting and sometimes with the help of an ultrasound. They have some way of figuring if the baby is so big then he/she weighs so much. They're wrong a lot though.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I'm not entirely sure...and they can't be entirely accurate either. But they can use the dimensions of the baby's body measured against the known weight of such size of a fetus at that time to determine an estimated weight. I've never heard a of a doctor saying a specific weight for sure with no question.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• This isn't a dumb question. Dr.'s don't know how much your baby weighs, at least I don't think so. I think its just an educated guess. My Dr. induced me at 38 weeks because I was miserable. She thought it would be fine because she figured the baby weighed about 6 1/2 -7 pounds. My baby was born 9lbs 3 oz. I am a small girl though and she was surprised that I had such a big baby. Thats why I think its just an educated guess-I don't know for sure though.
    Anonymous

• I think during a ultrasound, they measure the bones, head and abdomen curcumference etc. and somehow get an estimated weight.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i was going to ask that same question because i didn't understand it either, but thats cool that they can estimate it
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The weight is an estimate based on sonogram measurements -- with both of my kids it was way off. They have no way of knowing how "dense" the baby is.. they go by averages based on the baby's stomach measurement, thigh bone, head size etc.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 8:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It is just an estimate and they are often wrong!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They can feel the baby through your stomach, and the ultrasounds give them a good idea too. Still, it is just a guess and they're usually a little off...but my doctor has been pretty close most guesses! (My friends and I all go to him). He is usually within half a pound.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They guess. They can only really tell how long the bones are, and maybe how chubby the baby is with a 3D.
    During labor, they said my first would be about 8 pounds (I had an ultrasound that day to make sure she wasn't breach). She only weighed 6 pounds!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My doctor said she doesnt say anymore. She told me "the baby will probably be between 5 and 10 lbs." Its almost impossible to know for sure.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2009