MRSA and chemo

My sister is in 2nd round of chemo~~getting last treatment on Wed. , found out today she has MRSA~~~I feel her treatment has been neglegent cuz she is on acccchs~~Her incision started leaking again last Mon., hospital said its healing from inside!~~NOW THIS ~~any advice?

lonelyangel58

Asked by lonelyangel58 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• May be a stupid question but what is MRSA?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• One more stupid question...what is acccchs?
    I am sorry she is having a hard time---these things happen with medical treatment for serious conditions and it is a shame.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have had MRSA twice. It is a very serious form of a staph infection. I almost lost my leg. I contracted it at the doctors office where I had vericose vein surgery. I was in the hospital for 10 days with the strongest antibiotics that you can get intraveniously. I hope that she heals quickly.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• actually my son has it and one your diagnosed with it it will never go away but will show up every once in a while could be every month or every three year just comes and goes but you have to get treated with VERY strong antibiotics and you should be just fine my sons doctor said that we should not have to worry as long a he was seen right when we discover it!! iam sorry for what she has to go through i hope everything goes good and she is in my prayers
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 10:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Because she is immunocompromised courtesy of the chemo, she's definitely high risk for MRSA, which is really hard to get rid of. She may, even after her Vanco, get it again, particularly after her chemo treatments, because her immunity is down. Unfortunately, when on state insurance, you have to just deal with what's covered, and there may or may not be a stigma with that that is affecting her treatment. Keep in mind, though, that MRSA is increasingly common. Also, is her wound leaking clear fluid, bloody, pus, or something else? Clear or even yellow/clear fluid is normal, even some blood, but pus is of course a sign of infection. Where is the MRSA? Is it systemic, or on the wound?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• MRSA is methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, which means a staph aureus (bacteria) that is resistant to methicillin (an antibiotic). There are levels and types of antibiotics, and methicillin is one of them. Vancomycin is the next one above that. You want to go with the lowest antibiotic you can that will get rid of the infection.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009