how can i get my son to eat less?

my son is eating 8oz every 1 to 2 hrs! we are giving him cereal and also giving him baby food the from the first food selection! even after he gets cereal he will eat 6oz of formula and still be hungry around and hour to 2 hours later!!!! i dont know what to do! ive made him wait 3 hrs between feedings and he crys the whole time! any advice?

Annette819

Asked by Annette819 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How old is he? He may be about to go through a growth spurt. If he is hungry I would feed him. Is his weight gain okay?
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter was this way and this was just the tip of the iceberg! She is now 2 and I am still trying to figure out the answer to this question!
    Anonymous

• had the same problem with my son we had to find stuff to do with him to drag it out its hard sometimes let him cry keep him busy because eating that much might also be making his tummy hurt and my little one still ate when his tummy hurt he was 8 lbs 10 oz when he was born ans was 27 lbs at 9 mon he is tall though thanks to daddy good luck but like i said you have to kinda drag out that last hr you can do it
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have a friend who just went through this with her daughter. Just a growth spurt. Try to be patient it will pass, but there will be more to come!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My pediatrician told me that babies tend to confuse any pain in their tummy with hunger and will continue to eat even when they've had enough. It's possible your baby has gas or a tummy ache after eating and your thinking he's crying from hunger. Over feeding will definitely cause gas and tummy upset. I would quit feeding when you know he's eaten the right amount for his age. and try to comfort him or distract him in other ways and see if that works. Good luck!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Try a binky, he may just need something to suck on. My daughter was like this until about 6 months.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I want to know how to get my kid to eat more! LOL
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My oldest had severe reflux and would eat all of the time. It soothed his tummy, well until he spit half of it up again. But even after we got his reflux under control he was an eater.

He is now 14, 15 in Feb. He's nearly 5'11" and stick thin. He can eat a Chipotle burrito and an hour later he'll eat 3 slices of pizza. His little brother is similar, just not rail thin. It will be interesting he hits his teen years. I might have to take out a second mortgage.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2012