WHY WONT MY FIVE MONTH OLD SLEEP LONGER THAN FIFTEEN MINUTES AT A TIME?

when my son was born he slept almost all the way through the night. and we haven't changed anything about his routine, bath, bottle, rock and then its bedtime. he has slept in the same crib since we had him, and nothing has changed... but now every time i lay him down whether its for a nap or for the night he just doesnt want to sleep? during the day i am lucky if he sleeps for a half hour, and i also have a 3 year old, so i need him to take a nap. and then at night, he went from sleeping at least four hours to hardly sleeping for longer than an hour can any one give me any advice? i am so tired during the day... and gavin is begining to notice it. we used to play when sammy would take his naps, but its hard to do the household things and play at the same time. now sam wants to stand and be held all day. i cant ever sit with him, he wants to walk around CONSTANTLY!

tonip89

Asked by tonip89 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm.. Have you tried maybe providing some "white noise" -- maybe small noises are waking him up. We seriously used to roll my daughter into the bathroom in her pack n play and turn on the fan! haha.. the bathroom fan was great for white noise. Is there any medical reason for the crying? (Have you spoken to his doctor) Does he seem to have reflux or any problem when you first lay him down? Ever tried letting him sleep in his swing? And.. perhaps you're just going to him too quickly? I know its hard not to.. but if he's fed, clean, and due for a nap.. a little crying won't hurt him. 4 months is a bit young, but for your sanity you might give him 5 minutes and see if he goes back to sleep. My daughter (at two) still seems to get night terrors and cry but we wait 15 minutes. Usually she's back asleep.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 8:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Mine too!! I have no idea. The only way he sleeps longer than maybe 10-20 minutes is either if he's in the car or the swing and even then it's not always a guarantee. He'll sleep for a good 5-6 hours at night though so I appreciate that. Also, we got him a play center jumper thing and that keeps him entertained during the day! Good luck.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Co-sleep.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I unfortuntately do not have a solution for you, but know that you are not the only one. My dd wants to be held and walked around the house all day long. This has been going on for a few weeks, it is so tiring. And over the past week she has been a awful sleeper, getting up every couple hours and staying up for like a hour. It has been really hard. I am hoping that it is just a phase. Best of luck to you!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2009