Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can my sister get rid of her kids "deadbeat" dad??

My sister was married and had two kids with her exhusband. He now won't pay any child support, he is letting their house go into forclosure mode and has ruined her credit. She cannot get anything by herself and my mom can't cosign for her anymore. The exhusband will not let my sister move out of state where she can get a better job but is struggling to make ends meet. He will not pay for school, food or daycare. The loser has recently lost his job but will not take the kids for daycare so my sister can save money. My sister has very low self-esteem and I am trying to talk her into taking him to court or somehow putting him in jail. Does anyone know anything that my sister can do?? Please help!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • If he's not paying court ordered child support, she can call the attorney general and they will notify him he has such and such amount of time or he'll be in contempt of court. She can haul him back to court and make him pay for her legal fees (there's also free legal aid that can help if her state isn't like mine). After so many attempts to get him to pay, they will eventually just throw him in jail. I'd push as hard as I could and if nothing else maybe he'll sign over his rights or waive the right to leave state with the kids so she can make a better living.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • take him to court for EVERYTHING... if she tells the court what you are telling me, it will be a HUGE plus in her favor... on another note... tell her to go to WIC... this guy is obviously emotionally abusive to say the least and they will help her get through a lot of this.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • If he is not financially supporting her, and doesn't take care of them, WHY is she having trouble getting rid of him..sounds like he has gotten rid of her and the kids?!

    I'd tell her to pack up her things with the kids go to a shelter, and start over while taking the guy to court for whatever it is she is due, and move on!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

  • I think the first important thing is raising her self esteem. She needs to stop worrying about all that he isnt doing, let him go and do for herself and her children. The only way she can move on is to let go.

    Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.