My daughter only scoots!!

My daughter is 7 months old. She isn't crawling yet, she just scoots backwards on her belly. I have all hardwood floors, could that be a problem in crawling. Is there any ways to encourage her to crawl on her hands and knees in a forward motion?

rylies_mum

Asked by rylies_mum at 8:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Scooting is actually quite normal. Some kids don't crawl before they walk. Unless her doctor is concerned, I would leave her be.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 8:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think the hardwood floors are the problem. My children would crawl on concrete if I let them!! I wouldn't worry, she will do it when she is ready. Some children never crawl and just go straight to walking. I am sure everything is fine. Plus, alot of children are just starting to crawl between 6 and 10 mos.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Its not a problem. She gets around and thats all that matters. She may never crawl the "right way" If it bothers you and you want her to crawl on all fours you could just show her how to do it by doing it yourself:)
    Anonymous

• My dd is 7 mths as well and isn't crawling yet either and we have carpet so i don't think that has anything to do w/ it. She is trying to crawl and is close but now she's trying to pull up on things? I think she'll walk before she crawls! She can go backwards and will get on her kness and rock back and forth but won't go anywhere. It's funny!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 8:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I have all hardwood floors too, and my baby girl is 8 mos, no crawling yet, but she did do a frog hop thing once.... lol... We will see if that happens again. Alot of babies skip crawling altogether so I wouldn't worry :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009