panties or diapers??

my daughter is a few months older than 2, and potty training has been hell! We have only carpet and im nervous to let her run around in just her panties or nothing at all. the plastic covers...forget it!...they drive her crazy! We have tried pull ups but they dont work for u, they are the same as diapers for all she cares! I feel she will never learn if we dont transition to panties soon. I just really dont want her peeing all over the floor! How long does this take....What can I do? Shes comfy with the diaper and wont tell me she has to go with the diaper on. So Im a little lost on what to do! Do I need to buy a carpet shampooer?? What have you done??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just put her in panties and take her potty about every hour. With mine it only took a day or two. Be sure she is ready though, otherwise you will be fighting a losing battle.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Honestly you may need to get a carpet cleaner. Get a couple potty chairs and have one in the room she is in. The only way really that kids learn the concept of wetting there pants is if they do it lol. All kids are different and she just may not be ready yet. My oldest was about 18 months and completely potty trained. Never had accidents ever. My youngest I thought for sure would graduate highschool with a diaper on. She wasnt ready till after three and then was 3 1/2 before I'd say she was day trained......Night time she didnt stop wetting at night until about 6 months ago and she is 6.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i think every inch of my house was peed on while potty training. put her in underware (you'll have to do it sooner or later!) and be prepared with the clean up crew.
    amygrace419

Answer by amygrace419 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Have you tried the thicker quilted underpants?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I waited until my kids were ready---which meant, in their cases, around 3 years old. Once the child is really ready, it is a much quicker process. If you have to do too much, it may be too early for her.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• There are two main choices:
    Take her every hour and don't take many trips out of the house - especially if you will be gone for more than an hour.
    OR
    Wait until she is a little older and more receptive to the process.
    Kids will learn to use the potty when they are ready. You can spend the next 6 months hauling her to the potty on a rigid schedule or you can wait 6 months and teach her to go when she needs to. Either way, she will take over the process of getting herself to the potty at the same age, no matter which route you take. So, months of effort on your part or months of laziness on your part. Your choice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. Finally, we just put panties on her, and sat a small potty in our living room..where she spends most of her time, and then she also had the option of the bigger potty in the bathroom. I would ask her about every 30 minutes if she needed to poop or pee...she peed in her panties maybe once, and that was it. Once she experienced the wet sensation, she knew it was wrong, and didn't like the feeling. Also, when they are learning, don't push them. If they have an accident, don't punish...just ask them to try to make it the next time. We used stickers when she first started potty training, and that was a great incentive for her! Good luck.
    jamieobrien_84

Answer by jamieobrien_84 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter is also just over 2 and i put her in panties but my dd also tells me she has to potty or just goes in the potty
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009