DOes age affect a man's ability to impregnate his wife?

OK, so he's 42. I'm 29. We are ttc, and I have never in my LIFE taken this long- when I was with my 1st husband, we joked I'd get pg just by him hnging his pants at the bedpost! I have 3 boys, ages 6, 5, and 3, so it hasn't been that long, and he's got a girl from a previous marriage... Does age decrease a guys' sperm count or anything? Anyone with any advice?
Last month I thought for sure I was pg, and 7 hpt's had faint positives a couple days before my period was due, but the blood test was negative... And period was a day late... Not that that has anything to do with his age! LOL
Oh, and I have noticed alot of snippy replies to other posts- please don't answer if you can't be nice!!! We aren't here to be nasty to eachother!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i believe that i read in my pregnancy book that as a guy gets older his semen count does decrease by a bit, but i don't remember what age they said or by how much but i'm pretty sure it does affect it some, but he may not have been the most fertile person in the first place. I'd say just keep trying, and good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• well, it could be him and you never know...it could be you....you should both get checked out by a doctor and see who has the problem and how it can be fixed. good luck ttc!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Things could have changed for either on of you...things do happen. Good luck! I don't think 42 is that old for a guy in terms of conception.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It didn't seem to affect my husband. He was 42 (me 41) when we had our 3rd baby and 43 (me 42) when we had our 4th 12 months later! I think age affects the woman more so than the man.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Wow I am 30 and my husband is 43. We are trying to conceive, but it is about patience. I know that smoking and not eating right plays a factor. A lot of other stuff play factor as well when trying to conceive, but if you are to healthy individuals you have to be patient. We just started keeping track of my cycle and ovulation. Good luck to you and if you want to talk more send me a pm.
    vroberts3677

Answer by vroberts3677 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I know two different men who impregnated women when the men were in their 50's. I think they can impregnate until the day they die.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2009