Just curious...

I've read a post about breastfeeding... and I am curious to see how many mothers breastfeed, and for how long, or didn't breastfeed and why? I mean it's the mothers choice, so no bashing against what someone says... I just more want to get an idea of what people actually deal with themselves... I breast feed my daughter until she was 2 or 3 weeks old, and had to stop because I was drying up so fast that she wasn't getting enough to eat and had to go to formula.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I tried really hard in the beginning. I even consulted a LC. I breastfed exclusively for the first few days but my milk took a while to come in and my poor baby just kept screaming to be fed so we supplemented. Once my milk did come in it wasn't enough to exclusively BF because we were also supplementing. I tried pumping but I never got more than maybe 2oz even after 20 minutes. I pumped and put him to the breast for 3 months before we both gave up. He's still healthy as can be though :-)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son is seven months old and I'm still doing it occasionally.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i pumped for 3 weeks then figured it was too much work for me and i didn't like the whole baby sucking on my boob deal. so i quit and went to formula and have had a perfectly healthy almost 10 month old ever since :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You are going to open up a can of worms with this question:)
    I didn't breastfeed either of my children. It was just my personal choice!
    Anonymous

• I breastfed my daughter even though it hurt like hell for the first one.. cracked, bloody nipples.. ouch. I bf her for 22 months.. she's now 3 1/2. I plan on breastfeeding my second child, whenever I have one, for just as long.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• first month*
    anestheticsex

• Hmmm, I breastfed my son until he was 6 months old. I chose to do it because it made me feel closer to him. It was bond that only me and him could have. I miss it, I had to stop because I wasn't producing enough milk for him. I made the mistake of giving him formula sometimes and that messed with my production, because it was already messed up to begin with. :/ I miss it soo much too.
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 8:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I breastfed all 4 of mine for different amounts of time. My first for 3 months, she just wouldn't do it and wasn't gaining weight. My second for 9 months till he started biting. My 3rd for 6 months, I was 41 years old, had serious post-partum (sp?) depression and had a hard time keeping the milk production up, and my 4th only a month or so because she was born at 24 weeks and she was on a feeding tube for 2 months. By the time she could nurse, because of my illness at the time, my body couldn't produce much milk. I did the best I could in each situation but I had a hard time switching to bottle feeding because I loved the closeness of breastfeeding and I really wanted to do it longer.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I only breastfed while I was in the hospital. I had read, bought the supplies, bought a $300 breastpump, etc. with the full intention of doing it. He was kind of latching on OK in the hospital but no one was really helping me to learn. When I got home he would not latch on at all, I freaked out, and the same night I left the hospital we started bottle feeding. Too stressful for me...
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 8:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I was expecting more controversy on this question. I only breastfed my first for under a week, and then my second for 10 months. After the first few months breastfeeding was really easy, especially since I was a stay at home mom at that point.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009