Does anyone have a high spirited child,this doesn't mean ADHD or ADD??

My husband has alot of energy like my daughter and he said he might have ADHD.What's the difference from that and ADD?Are there any tests for adults to take to see if they have ADHD?But,ultimately,I want to know if a high spirited child means ADHD?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 8:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Whatever,you can answer will be appreciated.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 8:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I don't think it means that at all , I think SO many children are given a label as an easy out .
    Anonymous

• my son is off the wall and sometimes it drives me nuts but it just means he needs a little more patience and discipline. it is part of his PERSONALITY it doesnt necessisarily mean there is something wrong with him or that it needs to change. he can still learn things it might just take a little more work. and i bet there are great things about your son's high-spiritedness that other children dont have. he will probably grow out of it eventually anyway. energy is a great thing that is lacking in most people today.
    amygrace419

Answer by amygrace419 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• sorry i didnt see your full question but you get the idea
    amygrace419

Answer by amygrace419 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I know ADHD people have a hard time focusing on tasks,making decisions,planning ahead,they make impulse decisions without first thinking about it.My husbands like this and he didn't have any problems with it until recently,probably because he's been out of work{I think ADHD has caused him to be out of work,so I want him to take a test and maybe get some help somewhere}So he's got time on his hands to see how his brain really thinks and it's helped me understand him more.People with ADHD and ADD are just as intellegent and normal as anyone else,they just think differenter..ADD I know starts early in childhood?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 8:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• There is actually no ADD anymore. Most people do not know this. It's now only ADHD, but there are 3 types.

http://www.chadd.org/ This is suppose to be a good organization to get info on ADHD.

Really to me an easy answer is, if the "behavior" is affecting normal routines, ability to learn, interact etc..then that is when it would be time to seek a diagnosis. Not just because someone is full of energy etc...

I hope this helps you :)
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• there are no tests for adults or children for adhd, it is a process of elimanation, first docs rule out biological causes (something that would show up in a blood test) then they rule out enviromental problems before they will make a diagnoses of adhd
    and like j9mommy said, it's all adhd now
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yep...three different types of ADHD. I can't really honestly answer because I have never understood 'high spirited". However, I'm going to say that no one does not mean the other.

My understanding of "high spirited" is they need more help controlling impulses. However, they are able to learn to control their impulses. ADHD, more often than not, kids just CAN'T control their impulses.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We're seeing a psychologist with our oldest (he's 4, 5 in February) for this right now. Nothing has ever been said about him being "high spirited" but the psychologist said that right now we're considering him to be "of difficult temperament". (he's showing a LOT of red flags for Asperger's and ADHD) We're currently working with behavior management...behavior modification did NOT work for him, but it did for our 2 year old!! The psychologist told me that unless there is an extreme in behavior, diagnoses for either are not given until closer to 6 or 8. However, if we're not able to help our son help himself to control himself, we may be looking at a diagnosis this year.....*sigh*
    TiccledBlue

• My son is very strong-willed and I have read books about strong-willed children. It seems like they're often labeled as having ADHD.

Maybe your daughter is just strong-willed?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009