R rated movies in classroom - is it appropriate?

My daughter came home with a permission slip to watch an R rated movie as part of the curriculum. She will be given an alternate assignment if we don't approve. I wrote a note to the teacher explaining that we don't allow our child (under 17) to watch R rated movies because of the content. (The movie he is showing has nudity in it). I gave up watching R rated years ago because I was always regretful when I went to see one. I was either embarrassed or distressed by the content, especially while viewing with a crowd. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I had a teacher my Senior year in High School who would also show us R rated movies ( after having sent a permission slip home) because he said it would help us better understand the book we had just read. I didn't feel comfortable watching them because I didn't think we needed to watch a young girl get raped by her father in order to comprehend the situation. I told my mom I wasn't comfortable so I got to skip that class. About a month later our teacher got arrested for sexually assaulting a student in our class. I guess I'm just trying to say to be careful, and talk a lot with your daughter. I wish I would have told my mom about the inappropriate things he'd say or do.
    Janneth

Answer by Janneth at 1:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It would depend on which movie it was .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would think that there is an educational reason if they are showing it in school and that the teacher has to get approval from the board or something to even try to show it. Plus there are different levels of nudity.......
    Anonymous

• I would ask the teacher what movie was going to be viewed.  If you feel uncomfortable allowing your child to watch a R rated movie don't approve the permission form and have your daughter do the other assignment. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We don't like watching R rated movies. As long as my child is under 17, I wouldn't want them watching movies of that content at school. That's just my opinion.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• The movie is Titus. I haven't seen it and I believe it is tomorrow, so I don't have time to view it. The last time this happened the content was something I wouldn't be comfortable with personally, much less having my daughter watch in mixed company. She said herself it would be embarrassing to view it with guys around. I wish the teachers would just stick to age appropriate examples and not make a spectacle of the kids whose parents say no. They wouldn't be allowed in a theatre without their parent or adult guardian. I don't know the teacher from Adam. He is not an adult guardian.
    Anonymous

• It's an adaptation of Shakespeare's revenge tragedy Titus Andronicus, that's probably why it's being shown in the classroom. I haven't seen it, so I can't really say what is in it that gives it the R rating.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Try looking it up on imdb.com, it should give you a summary of the plot, and you can also view comments and reviews from people who have seen it. That may help you get a better idea of what it is about and if you're ok with her seeing it. I tend to agree with the person who said that they usually have to get school board approval to show an R rated movie. My drama teacher in high school had to get school board approval to show us West Side Story. In the end, the decision is yours, you are the parent, but I do think that, for the most part, they're not trying to corrupt the kids, just trying to teach them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think you are right. It is totally inappropriate. It also puts her in a bad position by having to even buck the "curriculum" to maintain a moral standard. Shame on the school and the teacher.

I swear we live in a world gone mad. Congratulations on raising her with high standards!
    foxyloxy

Answer by foxyloxy at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Janneth, Thanks so much for sharing that. We don't live in a world of perfect people. I wouldn't approve a movie last year because of it's sexual content. It may not be conscious when teachers are showing inapporpriate material. It may be so much a part of their world that their judgement is scewed. You are right about being careful. Teachers can be wonderful but we need to guard our childrens hearts, minds and bodies. They are still acquiring good judgement themselves. Thanks again!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2009