ATTITUDE

How can you STOP a teen's smart mouth? and ATTITUDE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hope the first one to figure it out writes a book!
    Anonymous

• ha ha ha is this a riddle what the hell is the answer
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Its a phase, it really is.You just have to let them know you wont stand for it. Start taking things away and stand your ground on EVERYTHING. They need to understand they have to respect you. For mine, smart taling meant start stripping your room of things I BOUGHT. If it continued and got bad a pop on the lip helped. I know people dont agree with it but you have to be in the situation to judge it. It honestly stopped the smart mouthing and back talking. You have to show them YOU are the adult.
    Anonymous

• I THOUROUGHLY recommend the book "screamfree parenting" by hal runkel
    tinykelsie

Answer by tinykelsie at 9:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ...especially to the anon who posted above me. sheesh!
    tinykelsie

Answer by tinykelsie at 9:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• tiny until your child is a teen dont judge, not everything by the books work it is a fairy tale...Mine tried but I started early, so my teenager knows I will not put up with it...I did take things away from her, and still will take her cellphone if her grades drop....MOM you still have the power, just get it back.
    As for me I had lots of attitude but that was my personality, show her a way to be respectful without being rude and still having the freedom to express her likes or dislikes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• There is a Love and Logic book for parents specifically for teens. I cannot say enough good things about it. Just some simple things that can be done right away (but won't change their mode of operating right away, that takes time) : keep your mouth from being a smart ass. Don't be sarcastic. Even when faced with someone who is. Be calm, relaxed, and firm. They shout at you that you are a bitch or you don't love them....have a calm come back that you keep repeating. Example: God your such a Bitch! reply - You think so? I'm sorry you feel that way. teen - Yeah you are a fat bitch and a liar you said _________. reply - You think so? I'm sorry you feel that way. The key is to just keep calm and say your lines firmly. Believe me, it annoys the crap out of them. I have a ton of come backs I would teach parents. They do work.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• cont..It takes more than having pat answers for a teen with a smart mouth. It takes setting a good example by role modeling, it takes a lot of good techniques, and thinking outside the box. I cannot recommend Love and Logic for parents with teens. There are several in the series so make sure you get the one geared toward teens.  By the way, a lot of teachers are required to read Love and Logic for the classroom by their schools and even universities they graduate from.  Wonder how they get control over their classes?  It is not something natural to us all.  We do have to learn how to do that.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2009