preschool

My son will be 3 in time to enroll in preschool next year. Have you guys sent your kids that young? If so, how has it helped? If not, why?
and does anyone know about how much they cost . I know every one is diffrent but anyone have a avgrage?
Thanks Ladies

ReadyToRage

Asked by ReadyToRage at 8:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is only 2 right now and we havent decided if we want her to go at 3 yet. All of my neices and nephews did, but I just dont know if it is right for my daughter. the pre-school here is free and part of the elementary school, but kids that really need it get signed up first. My daughter is ahead of lots of other children her age, so i would really rather leave that spot open for someone who really needs it and just start her when she is 4.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter is also two. I'm hoping to enroll her in a half day once or twice a week in the fall. I think the interaction with other kids will be good for her. I've been looking for a preschool that concentrates on play - not the ABCs. Sadly, they are hard to find. I want my daughter to have fun in her first experiences of school, not come home stressed because she got in trouble for being a typical three-year-old.
    As for cost, it really depends on where you are and what you find. Some states have state run preschools which may be free or very low cost. If you don't make much money, you may qualify for Head Start (wish I did!). I'm in Southern California and I found prices ranging from $150 a month (co-op preschool through the city's parks department) to $800 a month (private PreK to 12 school).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My son is an only child who had never gone to day care so I was unsure if I wanted to send him. In Florida we have VPK that is free. He already knew most of the stuff they were teaching - ABC's, colors, shapes, etc, but he got a lot of social skills out of it. I think it really helped him to get into a routine, learn to play and share, etc. I would recommend it.
    Quiltingdiva76

Answer by Quiltingdiva76 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• HI, being a former preschool teacher I think 3 is to young to have your child enrolled. From my past the 3 yr olds had a very hard time adjusting cried alot & mostly all of them were taken out early to reenroll them when they turned 4
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Both of my boys went when they were 3. When my older boy turned 4 he was in his 2nd year and was extremely bored with it. He knew everything they were covering. I would wait until 4.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter started going to preschool a month before her third birthday. Since she had been going to therapy twice a week in a school setting, she had no problems adjusting to preschool. I was worried about her transitioning at such a young age, but she's done great. She is really benefiting from the socialization.

She goes to a special education preschool. She has some minor delays due to her prematurity. If she didn't need therapy, she would not have gone to preschool at this age. I probably would have waited until she was four years old.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• does it cost money to go.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter just turned 3 and is in the 2 year old class in her preschool! My daughter loves it and has never cried! She pretty much knows everything that they are teaching and she is a very social child anyway! I am not going to say that it has helped her but she likes going and it gets her out of the house and away from me for a little while! And I have to say, she has picked up alot of bad things from being around the other kids but that is to be expected! It costs us $115.00 a month for 5 hours a week!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 5:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I sent my son at 3 1/2 and it has done wonders for him! He loves it! I really didn't believe in 3 year old preschool but my older child has autism and I wanted him to have some typical peer role models so we sent him this year. Here it is $75/month and he goes twice per week
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2009