Crib or Toddler Bed???

We switched KaVaughn's crib into a toddler bed. We caught him climbing out of his crib & the way he was doing it is very dangerous. So we went out got him new bedding for his Big Boy bed in hopes that it would help w/ the transition. He's NEVER slept in a regular bed before always the crib.

Well for the past couple days that KaVaughn has been in his Toddler Bed he's been crying himself to sleep. It breaks my heart for him to feel like he's not secure enough to sleep in his new Bed. His entire routine is still the same go potty, take a bath, get into PJ's, brush teeth, & read a story. Cuddling for a moment then say our prayers. But by reading the top passage what do you other Mommie's think??? Should I change his bed back into a crib & just encourage him not to try & climb out or deal w/ the crying & encourage him that the new bed is okay & he can still feel secure about the new changes going on.

~*~Holli~*

MsWood729

Asked by MsWood729 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I too wouldnt want my daughter crying herself to sleep and we just ordered her a new toddler bed, so we will be trying out the transition soon, however for the first 18 months of her life she has slept in bed with us, so it amy be easier for her. I personally get my daughter to sleep before laying her down, is that an option? If not, It sounds like maybe just give it a little more time and he will get used to it. Good luck!
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would hold my dd until she fell asleep, but that really is hard to break once they get used to that. I would try just staying in his room, bring a book for yourself, or just enjoy the quiet time, and let him know you're there and he's ok;, and slowly transition to where he can sleep on his own calmly.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• They well cry until they get use to the new bed but I would not recamend having them falling asleep in your arms because that is a hard thing to break so when you put him to bed try not to listen to the crying and try to distract yourself it well be hard for awail but it well pass
    Duwanesmommy

Answer by Duwanesmommy at 10:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I think you should stick with it as you obviously don't want him to get hurt. (that's why I transitioned my son too) Him crying is a normal reaction, and although it is hard to see him do it, it is actually the beginning of him learning to self sooth. A big milestone I must say. : ) I would try getting him a new lovie just for bed time. Or you could try any pre-exhisting security item if you haven't all ready. Hope this helps : P
    shellby22

Answer by shellby22 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• You're gonna have to stick to you guns. The point is to get his used to sleeping in there, you really don't want to start another habit that you'll have even more sleepless nights breaking. I'm going through the same thing with Jordan, and she'll cry sometimes, but she gets over it and goes right to sleep. Some nights she'll wake up and start crying, but it never last. She's gone a week without any problems and then she'll cry again. This too shall pass...
    4Girls1truLove

Answer by 4Girls1truLove at 8:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009