I have ants in my kitchen and I can't get them to go away!

I don't want to use poisen because I'm pregnant and I can't block the kitchen off from my daughter running in there. I am at my wits end I have been using a sponge to wipe them up every half an hour ALL DAY long. I am losing my mind there has to be something I can do. They are coming through the light switch.

Mrs.Wills

Asked by Mrs.Wills at 9:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • find where they are coming in at... you said light switch so start there. ants follow a scent trail from the lead ant to get to and from their colony, so mess up their scent trail! I spray with my favorite perfume :) or air freshener. enough to coat the spot well.
    Anonymous

• i know you said you don't want to use poisen but they make ant traps that work WONDERS. i used to have the same problem and about after a week of setting out 2 ant traps they were gone for good :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My mom had the same problem and I think it's sage leaves that they don't like. She put them in her cupboards and around the counters and also dish soap. It's a horrible soapy mess but it works.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• oh I so know where you are coming from, every year around this time my floors literally get covered in ants. We put some traps in the heater vents because that's where they were coming in here. Also I've heard the dishsoap thing works, but I was mopping like crazy and they were still coming. Also you could have around your house outside sprayed, and then just stay inside for awhile. We also recaulked around all our baseboards. I think i was also told that lemon juice helps, but I could just be making that up. Good luck!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Baby powder works!!
    GIswife

Answer by GIswife at 10:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Vinegar! It will kill anything and is harmless to you.
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Get ant stakes (you can buy them at walmart) and put them in the ground outside your kitchen window, the ants will be gone within a day.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Try to see where they are coming from and have the husband or pest control spray something out side around your house and maybe that will stop it, Thanks for the question......
    c.barbara

Answer by c.barbara at 7:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• baby powder is the thing--they hate getting powdery stuff on their feet and it will not be dangerous to you or the baby. My husband was amazed when I used it to thwart a seige we were under--first day they disappeared from my kitchen as I spread in front of their "front door"
    lukee

Answer by lukee at 8:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I ended up using baby powder to get them to go away, but it didn't keep them away so once they were gone I put vasaline (spelling?) all over where they were coming in at and it worked they're gone. So thanks for all the answers!!!!!!!!!
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 8:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009