How to get your 27 year old daughter to realize her husband isn't going to keep a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• You dont, she'll realize it in her own time.
    mrschrono

Answer by mrschrono at 12:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You don't.
    She probably knows it but doesn't want to see it. You give her love and support so she knows you won't condemn her choices or say useless things like "I told you so". If she asks for advice, you say "Well, based on what I know, this is what I would probably do..." instead of the "You should do this...". Your job is to guide and support, not to tell her what to do. You also do NOT give her money.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Maybe just encourage her to get a job, go to school, pursue her dreams through volunteering...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My dd is 30 and she realizes it but still stays. She's trying to find the money for rent to keep from being evicted as I type. I told her that after ten yr and 3 children she doesn't realize this is her life with him and all it will ever be, then she wasted her time getting that college degree. They know. They just don't know what their options are. Mine happens to be afraid of being alone and starting over with kids so she endures this nonsense. I hate having to sit here and ask her how she plans on getting out of this mess and how long until the next financial crisis? (next month I'm sure) They have to live and learn but at what cost? IDK. I'm still watching to see how the chapter ends.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• you don't. she will have to see it for herself. and you harping on it is only goign to hurt your relationship wiht her.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008