Advice for the hair and make-up challenged?

I have never been one to fuss with my hair and make-up, ever. I'm a wash and go type of person. But, with it being the new year, I want to try to start being a little more girlie. So here are my questions, but feel free just to give any advice you have.

-I feel I look like a doll when I wear make-up, I know I have the correct colored foundation and whatnot, so is this just something I'll have to deal with until I'm used to seeing myself with make-up on?

-I have baby fine, straight hair. It's shoulder length. Doesn't hold a curl or wave and is just flat. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

-Now for clothes: I feel weird wearing a skirt, like it's only for dressing nicely (work, church, etc) and think I'll look silly putting on a dress or skirt. I'd love to get out of the jeans, t- shirt and flip-flops look so I'm up for any suggestions.

Thanks, from me and my hubby!

jms124

Asked by jms124 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• for make up. use only natural colors :) shades of browns for eye shadows... mascara... if i want my eyes to stand out i put my eye liner on thick.. and a bronzer instead of blush. that way it makes your cheek bones more so shine :) but i use the lighter colors in the bronzer ( i get the multicolored bronzer) and just use the light colors to add shine.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I also have fine hair and I use a root lift (Big Sexy Hair Root Plump Plus Hairspray) before I blow dry to get some height/volume. There are many brands that do this.

For makeup, keep it natural and earthy. You don't have to use eyeshadow or blush to get that made up look. This might be why you feel you look like a doll. I never use eyeshadow (just don't like it on me) and I use a bronzer every day. I don't really agree with putting eyeliner on thick as mentioned by krazyash023 but that would be up to you.

Dressing in a straight mid length pencil skirt can be very sexy/feminine. Depending on your preference you can dress it up or down with heels or knee length boots that are flat or with a heel.

I am also doing a full makeover for 2009. Good luck with your new you!
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It sounds like make-up and dressing up is the opposite of what you've been doing so you're probably going to have to give yourself time to get used to it. You don't have to wear a skirt to be dressed up though. If you feel comfortable in jeans/pants then that's what you should stick to for now. Even if you look good in the skirt your body won't portray that if you feel strange in it. Adding heels or flats to jeans dresses up an outfit. Cropped jackets are a good way to dress up an outfit too. It's the little things that set off an outfit. Figure out what kind of jewelry you like whether it's hoops or dangly earrings or necklaces or bracelets. I know nothing about hair though. Good luck.
    aquamarinemom

Answer by aquamarinemom at 9:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If your makeup feels like a doll, then maybe you are wearing the wrong kind. Some foundations can cause a cakey-made up feeling. Try a light mineral powder. Natural colors are best. Depending on the color of your eyes, you can try all kinds of eye colors (for example, purple eyeshadow - light not dark - actually makes green eyes really pop). Talk with a Beauty Consultant from Clinique, Mary Kay, etc. to get some advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• for the make up going the more natural route is probably the way to go. not to much blush or eyeliner...But mascara is a must....get a volumizing kind like maybaline volume express. Mascara makes your eyes pop and look bright, It will make you look alot "girlier" even if thats all you put on. Also unless you have bad skin, you could go for a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation ( Clinique makes a good one).
    The hair: Getting some layers will really help, I thought it would make hair look thinner, but it does just the opposite, it gives it more bounce and volume. Also use a root lifter or volumizer and blow dry your hair upside down.
    As for the clothes, you dont necessarly need to wear a skirt or dress to be girly. You could wear dressy slacks and a nice blouse or dress up some nice fitting jeans with hills and a fancy top, just some suggestions. Good luck.
    sarahdalenej

Answer by sarahdalenej at 12:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Go to my website www.marykay.com/dmitchell28077 and take the Virtual Makeover. hen you are finished if you email me the results you can enter to win $25 worth of free products that is a lipstick or lipgloss and a mascara.
    dawnmitchell

Answer by dawnmitchell at 6:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009