What would you do if your mother in law did this to your husband?

okay my evil MIL worked at a bank with loans and she knew my hubbys social and got him into a credit card without his permission, and when we found out she denied it but we had proof because the agent had said it was under her home phone so she finally admitted and said she did it to build him credit, so we forgave her, but then all of a sudden he got all these bills that say my hubby got loans of this much 1,202.26, 595.06, 4,173.57 and 5,205.85!!!!!! and he never did! if he had all that money he would of gotten himself a truck what hes been wanting for yrs. because hes always having problems with his jeep, so we always wondered how come his credit is so bad if the mom suppousably was helping in making it better, but look at all these bills she totally F**ked it up now! what can we do? I doubt the bank will believe us that it was her that took his identity. what would you do? how can we report her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you file a police report then the bank has to look into it.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would absolutley start at the bank. i used to work at the bank and they dont take things like this very kindly. She will be investigated by them so fast, she will be scared out of her mind. They can back track all the steps and stuff done with these "loans" and they will be able to see that your husband never filled out any of the apps, signed any of the forms or anything. It will then go from there. The bank will most likely fire her and they may even be the ones to involve the law. The bank will also most likely take your husbands name off all these loans and clear him of any debt and go after her for the re-payment.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• like above said, file a police report and also, make a call and record her saying she made the loans and such.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 9:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• There are serious consequences for identity theft.
    wilcoxamanda

Answer by wilcoxamanda at 9:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• That is identity theft. Most identity theft is by someone you know. You guys need to report it and get copies of his credit report -- any loans you believe to be fraud, report them. You can have the loans taken off his report.  Also get a fraud alert put on his credit report.

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html#whatifvictim

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Call the police and have her arested if she can do it to you, who else is she going to do it to? Besides you just might be keeping alive. Some people might kill her for doing that to them. Think about it.
    ksqueen

Answer by ksqueen at 10:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Contact the police. What she did is a crime and she should go to jail for it. She basically stole money using your husbands name. It will be hard to fix your credit. Probably need to contact all the creditors afterwards and let them know you are pressing charges against her. It is his mom so it may be tough for him to do this.
    Anonymous

• Ditto all of the above. It is a crime what she has done--file the police report and be honest on who did this to your husband. It is criminal--not just a poor decision.
    Anonymous

• we let my fil about it threw an email right now and can u belive now my fil is blaming me for this, i have never even gotten a loan in my life! why would i do such a thing if not only wll it affect my husband but also me and my son since my hubby is the only one making the income. what should we tell him for blaming me instead of his mom that worked with loans.
    Anonymous