Is this normal? Should we start DD on cereal?

DD is 6 weeks old and up until recently was EBF. starting like 2 days ago she's been wanting to eat every half hour to an hour so we started supplementing with formula thinking it would fill her up. she'll eat 6 oz and still want more in an hour. I need to stop this! She doesn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time now and I'm exhausted... Is this something we should get checked out and is it too soon to start her on cereal?

knfisch

Asked by knfisch at 2:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD is 3 months now... and around 6 weeks and again around 8 weeks she went through major growth spurts and was eating around the clock. I was lucky enough that she's my only baby, I don't have to work so I had the time to nurse her all day. I watched movies and ate popcorn with her on my boob all day, lol. I've been advised not to start cereal until 4 months or if her birth weight has doubled. Good luck!
    MesaMommy

Answer by MesaMommy at 2:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We only started to give our daughter cereal when she was 3 months old but that was in one bottle a day because she ate too much. We went to the doctor first to ask if it was okay, the main reasons they don't want you feed your babies cereal too early because they need the nutrients from the formula or milk and giving them rice they won't want to eat as much as they should be eating. Plus, rice too early could result in digestive problems and that happen to my cousin's son because they started him too early.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I gave my son cereal very early for the same reason. He would nurse for 20 minutes every 45 minutes. I was exhausted. I gave him cereal (very water cereal out of a bottle) once before his afternoon nap and once before bed. It was enough to get him to sleep for a few hours!
    Strssdmom72

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• we started giving our daughter cereal when she was 5 weeks old bc her formula broke down to quickly and wanted to eat so soon.. its ok if you wanna mix cereal with your milk it will not harm your baby at all
    babyapril08

Answer by babyapril08 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• babies go through a growth spurt at six weeks and it can last for up to a week. Maybe just wait it out and see if things go back to normal after about a week? Thats what I would do and if things dont get back to being a bit easier then I would call my doctor and ask for her advice. Good luck!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i gave my daughter cereal at 8 weeks becouse she wanted to eat all the time and I was just exhausted... I tryed the whole watiting it out thing for about 4 weeks befor I broke down good luck and remeber what ever you choice to do is alway the right choice for your child
    suger-n-spice

Answer by suger-n-spice at 5:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is not a politically correct answer. I planned on feeding my son on the schedule that was dr recommended. But at about 6 weeks we started giving him bottles with rice in them last thing at night. It helped him to sleep longer and didn't cut down at all on his intake. Then at about 3 months, he wouldn't eat them because he didn't want to go to sleep. So we started putting baby food fruit into his night time bottle as well. It didn't hurt him at all. I did have to give him just a tiny bit of prune juice twice to keep things moving through the transition. His dr said that prune juice can be given in small doses as early as 4 weeks. You know your child, so be smart about it, but do what you feel is best. You can message me if you want.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• 6 Weeks is way too early, dr said their digestive systems cant handle till they are 4months old.
    She is just having a growth spurt or you may have a milk problem and not producing enough check it out with her dr
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• OMG NEVER give a baby this young cereal and the only thing supplementing will do is make thinsg worse. A bottlefed baby can be overfed and your LO tummy is only supposed to be 5 oz at this point. Your baby was going through a growth spurt and was nursing and fussing to make more milk come in, by supplementing you are actually lowering your supply, ask about this in a BFing group!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 11, 2008