Are you a YMCA member?

I am thinking about joining the YMCA. I think it will be a good way to provide my 2yo dd playtime with other children while I work on getting fit. My dh will not be able to take advantage as often as the children and I, but I think it would be good for us as a family as well. So do any of you have YMCA memberships? It costs $93.00 a month for 2 adults plus children, but they have income based membership, so we may be able to get it for less than that. (I hope so. That seems really high to me.)

Senae

Asked by Senae at 10:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Health

• I am a member of YMCA, and I agree that their prices are a bit high. We have had community centers in my area and they were not as expensive, but a great benefit of the Y is that they have so much more to offer the community. If you purchase a family membership it is cheaper than individual memberships. You might look into working for the Y. That way you get free memberships.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Yes I am and we are on the low income based membership. We pay 38 a month
    Pinkmama13

Answer by Pinkmama13 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• 93 dollars that's crazy.. i paid 38 dollars for me and my husband plus two kids?? that's for all activities , swimming, gym, areobics, gymboree classes and much more,, 24 hours a day...
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am a step/kickboxing/powerlift instructor for the YMCA here in Nashville. I teach at the Oakwood, Donelson and Downtown Y's. It's a great place for families, they have so much to offer. Since I work there, I get my membership free and my DH & DD are half price, so it has it's benefits for working there. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
    Haleysmommy2007

Answer by Haleysmommy2007 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• UPDATE: We joined the YMCA in January. I am so glad we did. Since we are a single income family, we were able to get an income based membership for $38 a month!! I LOVE it!! My children receive care and play with other children while I work out. I have lost 11 lb since we joined, and my kids are getting more unorganized / free-play time with other children. It's win win for us all. I recommend this for anyone with a Y close by. They watch the children for up to 2 hours. I can work out and even shower sometimes or just sit and breathe and have a snack. It is a great way for me to get some "me" time. And they call me if my son needs to nurse.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 3:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2009