First baby...SEVERE diaper rash...HELP

My 3 month old was fine one day and now she has a really bad rash. But it doesn't seem like a rash, it looks like it blistered, and was bleeding today. Her ped is unavailable, the nurse said just to use desitin, but its not working. HELP please.

jasminebrooks87

Asked by jasminebrooks87 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her lay with a bare bottom off and on for a while. The air will help.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my son had that! OMG IT SUCKS! Try the Butt Past and the baby powder. (Thats the name of the cream) Also it could be a yeast infection, rash thing. I've seen commercials for it. I thinks its by RX only. Call them in the morning and tell them whats wrong and see what they can give you. GL. and poor baby. I hope she feels better soon.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• it could be a yeast infection.. believe it or not babies can get yeast infections in their diaper area. dont use wipes to clean her, use a wet paper towel... and change her more often. My doctor told us to use Miconazole (over the counter athletes foot cream) and it went away.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 10:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Wash well with nice warm water to make sure all the pee is off, then let it air dry. The ointment that worked best for us was balmex. We would put it on pretty thick and within a few hours we could see a difference.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It may be a yeast infection, if so you need a perscription of nystatin ointment, in the mean time cornstarch in the diaper will keep the moisture away, and like pp said, air out as much as possible. Good luck, I know it is painful to see your baby in pain like that.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I would have the pedi still look at it when possible to make sure it's not from another cause such as yeast ( as others have mentioned).

My secret diaper rash cream is "bag balm." It is actually for cow udders...LOL...but women use it too. They sale it at Walgreen in the makeup/lotion area. Also I think behind the counter at the Target pharmacy. It's in a green tin. That thing was like miracle cream.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• First, stop using diaper wipes until she is completely healed.
    Use plain water and a soft cloth OR use Cetaphil skin cleanser.
    Let her bottom air dry or use a hair dryer on the no heat setting or low.
    If you can, turn the heat up and leave her bare bottomed. Put her on a water proof mat on the floor (a flannel backed vinyl table cloth will work in a pinch). Just leave her bare bottomed as much as possible. This works now when she isn't mobile - it won't work once she can crawl away.
    If you think it might be a yeast infection (very common), put a thin layer of Nystantin on it or use the same thing you would use for a yeast infection.
    If you are going to diaper: put a THICK layer of the purple box Desitin on top of the medicine cream.
    Don't hesitate to give her pain meds. She hurts! Teething tablets can also help calm her down. They help with the “upset” caused by the pain.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• it could be yeat infection we asw it all the time as the daycare and it sound like it to me from waht your saying.. i agree about no diaper but also dont use diaper cream cuz if it a yeast infection itll feed it and make it worse not better... there is otc stuff you can buy like monostat and it safe for babies..
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• it sounds like a yeast infection. First off use a warm washcloth to wipe instead of baby wipes. The soaps and junk in the wipes burn when yuo wipe. Butt paste will help but you will need Nystatin which is a perscription to get it taken care of. Call your on call doctor and say it looks like polka dots. Any good doctor knows polka dots=yeast infection. Call right away because it does take a few days to clear up and ask for more of the prescription thank you will need so you have it on hand should it ever occur again. Like previous posters mentioned you can use monistat or a cream for athletes foot. Good luck!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• sounds like a yeast rash to me
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009