New law prohibits the sale of second hand clothing?

Has anyone heard the details of the new law to take effect in February which would prohibit the sale of used clothing and toy items for children under 12 without testing for lead? I have heard whispers here and there but can't find any actual facts on the internet. So does anyone know what this is all about and where I can find factual information on it?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that it would put a lot of people out of business and a lot of mothers on panic trying to figure out how to buy new things for their kids. I say try to stick to clearance racks you would be surprised what we can get when we wait it out. (but do they check for lead for new clothing?)
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

Barring a reprieve, regulations set to take effect next month could force thousands of clothing retailers and thrift stores to throw away trunkloads of children's clothing.

The law, aimed at keeping lead-filled merchandise away from children, mandates that all products sold for those age 12 and younger -- including clothing -- be tested for lead and phthalates, which are chemicals used to make plastics more pliable. Those that haven't been tested will be considered hazardous, regardless of whether they actually contain lead.

Answer by Bmat at 11:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• (the above is a quotation from the LATimes article, by the way.)

Answer by Bmat at 11:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• So, what, it's "sorry goodwill all those wonderful people you employ and the families you help are just going to have to suffer". I mean, come on, where are these thrift stores supposed to get the money to test the stuff, not to mention, if they do spend the money on it, then they will have to raise the cost of the goods, thereby hurting the people that NEED those clothes for their kids.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• OK I work at a local thrift store and I wonder about the toys that come through and we put out for sale. The ban on clothes is insane because kids grow fast and you would not beleave ALL the new stuff that comes in.
    Here's my thought...If you ban thrift stores...What about garage sales??? Will those be illegal?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think garage sales are going to be illegal too!! My concern is the environment... Have they considered the consequence of filling the landfills will all of these items? I do not follow politics whatsoever, but I can't believe this is what they spend their time on! Do we know if any children that were impacted by lead poisoning by purchasing a used pair of pants??? To me, as a parent, you take a risk in everything you do and by purchasing a used candyland game at the second hand store down the street, I'll take my chances... Just my thoughts :-)
    Quiltingdiva76

Answer by Quiltingdiva76 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• This is a ridiculous law. It is most likely big business lobbying for this to be passed.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well i think this is a good idea... its not stopping buying second hand things just making sure they are safe for our children..... they should have been doing this
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Stop importing crap from china and there will be no lead problems..Not to mention that if people just bought american made, like, little tykes products...there would be no lead problem!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• amen, Anon. I wish there was a site for Made in USA, I didn't appreciate it back when I was a kid, but now I understand...more so cuz I feel all these greedy "corporations" have spawned this massive outsourcing and decreased our middle class, while increasing China/India. Does anyone realize that. And people worried about Mexico..our neighbor (thats like your neighbor). This is ridiculous and our gov't is in on it. They allowed this. The same way you see our economy being screwed by the "financial market", there is blame going around, the media isn't pin-pointing the real problem. As long as they are all getting paid by someone, Gov't, Foreign countries, Foreigners who are buying up our "assets, like the media". Not much of an asset anymore. Sorry I'm rambling. We need to really take charge as consumers if you care about your childrens future, and I know you do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009