Colic...ugh

Does anyone have any magical product or procedure to calm colic crying. We have been round and round with this. In and out of childrens hospitals for a montage of issues but he has now been given a clean bill of health and still cries almost all the time and will only sleep in his swing. He is four months old but was born 5 weeks premature. He jas tried reflux meds with no relief switched bottles and is on the most overpriced formula his doctor could perscribe. Any help would be apreciated

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I have an idea. We used one of those heat up soft things, that had like a lavender smell....or you could make a rice sock ( dry rice in an old sock, heat in microwave) then place on babies belly.

I swear it works pretty good...even if it's only a temp fix. It seemed to be the only thing for my dd.

I have heard of things like gripe water, but have no personal experience and also knowledge if it is safe or not.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Cont.

I am sure this is obvious, but only put the " rice sock" on babies tummy when you are awake and watching. Also we would use it while she was in the swing. Double duty of relaxing, she was a swing baby.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I heard the other night at a party..that if you boil onions and give the baby the juice...IDK, it is up to you..that is what I heard, if I could go back in time,I would have tried it myself. We also used that overpriced Enfamil, it seemed to help, though. Just be patient, it will get better..trust me!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my son is this way and we use gripe water and it seems to work pretty well. Also babies with colic love to be held certain ways..it brings comfort and relief whenever you find that certain postion stick with it. like my son loves to lay on my chest it's the only thing that calms him down. My son also has acid reflux. He is on 15 mg of prevacid a day. He also has to have 1 tbs of rice cereal per once of formula and that was the MAGIC for us!! Just ask your doctor. The rice cereal made it heavier so it rest on his tummy better. All the luck! message me with any question you might have. Hope that helps!!!
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• First, hang in there. Colic is usually gone or greatly diminished by 16 weeks - 21 weeks for you - though his health issues may tack a few more weeks on.

Try a white noise CD (I used "For Crying Out Loud" http://www.colicshop.com/for-crying-out-loud-cd.shtml) My poor daughter slept - when she did sleep - to the noise of a car engine with windshield wipers and rain for months. I just put that track on repeat on a cheap CD clock radio in her room. That was the only "trick" that worked most of the time for us.
    Take a look at the different products sold at www.ColicShop.com. You might find a trick or two to try. Most of them can be purchased nearly everywhere online or even fudged up at home.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• oh yea the vaccum it works wonders with my son...go figure
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Swaddling ALWAYS helped my little one. He had colic and that was the ONLY thing that helped.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• try a warm wash cloth on the babys belly, or a warm bath with a soothing night time body wash. it worked for mine
    kaysmom1

Answer by kaysmom1 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• We liked gripe water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Look into infant massage.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2009