I am experiencing the 14 yr old daughter syndrome. Who is this stranger?What did I do wrong to deserve this? Please tell me this is only a phase. I'm sure I was never this bad when I was this age. How did my mom ever survive? aaarrrggghhhh

thedoty4

Asked by thedoty4 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I was a naughty 14 year old. I grew out of it when I reached 20....Sorry wish I had some more helpful words.
    Anonymous

• not a lot of info to go on but my DD went through the something for a few years and come out good on the other side...for most ofthe time we only say her to take her to school and for dinner, oh yeah chances are you were that bad too lol.... Keep on eye out for depression it hits some kids hard with the hormone change thing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• "Mother Nature is providential. She gives us twelve years to develop a love for our children before turning them into teenagers."

~William Galvin~

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• It's a phase. My mom took me to counseling when I was 14 because she "didn't know who I was anymore" lol. She told the shrink that I talked back, was a smart alec, I was grumpy and miserable, I was lazy, etc, etc. I replied that not only did I never even tell my mother I hated her, I never cussed at her, I never stole, wasn't doing drugs/alcohol, etc. The lady looked at my mom and said "congratulations! its a beautiful new teenager" lol. I was well over it by 17. At that age, teens are learning independence, think they know it all, and just don't wanna be told anything!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• we r together im going to something like with my son be strong everyone says this will past with time i hope so i ask my self the same questions
    BigMA

Answer by BigMA at 11:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• Sounds like those lovely teen years. As long as you have ruled out any negative influences, drugs, alcohol, questionable friends, etc., I think these are the years you have to ride out. Keep watching for the signs of depression, etc., but mainly give her a little more room if possible and see where she goes with it. Does she abuse the trust and added space or does she seem a bit more agreeable with you and her actions? Maybe a give and take situation. If she takes advantage of the extra space, you pull back the reins a bit, but it's worth a try to see if she is only trying to find her independence through her acting out. Good luck!
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 7:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I  have a new appreciation for my mom since I have had children.  I blame much of the mood swings on hormones.  I sometimes wonder why am I being tourchured with the teenage drama.  I think my 15 and 18 wake up each morning with a plan on what can I do to piss off mom today!  I have learned it's okay for me to walk away and not to feed into their drama.  My girls do know when to back off unfortunitally , its when I go psycho! 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have a 14 yr. old daughter that is driving me also insane! Maybe sometime we can talk one on one if you would like. I maybe having the same problems you are having from your daughter. I really don't want to go in to detail here like this.
    brtlchrs

Answer by brtlchrs at 2:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I feel for you honey! I think we all owe our mothers an appology in some form or another just for being a teenager. lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:00 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I am sure it is a phase. It might last a while though. She might be like this through her teen age years. You don't have to do anything to deserve it. She is a teenager. Hang in there mom.
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 12:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2009