Baptism removes sin

Can someone give me scriptural proof of this? (without using Mark 16:16 :-) ) I personally think it is important and one should be baptized in obedience to God's word (no different than witnessing, good deeds, prayer, study, etc) but I do not believe it is necessary for salvation. I believe the ONLY thing necessary is faith. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Eph 2:8-9)

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 12:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why would anyone want to give you proof? You clearly believe that you know everything and you are completely black and white when it comes to the scripture you quote. Everyone knows you don't ask questions, you only want to challenge people in your e-flock. I'll pass.
    Anonymous

• Luke 3:21When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened

If its good enough for Jesus its good enough for me
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 12:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Have u ever read the book of Acts?? All the dispciles of Jesus Christ were baptized, and that's good enough 4 me. Jesus himself was And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
    baptized.
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 12:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• that was mark 1:4, sorry that sent b4 I was done with it.
    "He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins." Luke 3:3
    "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." Romans 6:4
    there are a lot more where that came from.

lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 12:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Romans 6: 4-11 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God... In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 12:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I never thought that baptisim was for removle of sin. If this is so I want my money back J/k. no seriosly i was always taught that this is one of the steps to publicly announce you are a christian.
    which makes sense to me, after Jesus came many Jewish people decided to follow jesus and bleived he was the son of GOd. This made them want to show thier allegence to christ. It also was used to be a symbol of out reseruction in christ. How we will be lifted from the dead as christ was.
    THe cross is for forgivness and remove of sin.
    bluesubaru

Answer by bluesubaru at 12:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/baptism.htm
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Accepting Christ is for Forgiveness Baptism is like a public confession of your faith. Kind of like signing on the dotted line to seal your contract. Baptism does not save but it is required, its part of the act.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 1:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• baptism doesn't save a person it can't. It is just water. When Jesus was baptised he said do this as a symbol that you are following me. That is the only reason we are suppose to be baptised. It cannot save you or get you into heaven. It is a choice, you have to accept him as your Lord and Savior. You cannot get into heaven through works!
    Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• "Luke 3:21When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened
    If its good enough for Jesus its good enough for me"

Huh? lol I never said not to be baptized. Jesus was sinless, why would he need to be baptized to remove sin? So why was Jesus bptised?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2008