my 14 year old wants to drop out of school.

he's in 9th grade,we have tried everything he says he just hates school.he gets into trouble on purpose just to get sent home.

BigMA

Asked by BigMA at 11:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you ever looked into the program Big Brother's & Sisters for your children? Sometimes kids need an outside influence, someone they can talk to about their issues besides mom or dad. Just a thought. The teen years and pre-teen years can be very trying. Hang in there mom!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• i would give stronger consequences for misbehaving.. sounds like he knows who is in control.
    Anonymous

• 3 Months ago i heard they changed the law about kids dropping out of school now, they kid has to be 18 yrs of age. but what you can do is home school him if you have the time you can do it morning or night when you home school him or there are school programs that will tech your son at different times you can also send him to job crops which is a school that lets him get his Ged or high school he can be in the same state or out of state and he will get paid even get a trade in like brick layer, welding, he can become a firemen while he is doing that schooling he can even join the navy or army, nasa even has training for them in there ...
    Anonymous

• Is he responsible and does he listen to you at home ?

Is there any chance you could enroll him in a charter home school setting where he can finish, but has more control in his education and it's a little more freedom ?

You would make him a deal like that, but he would need to be responsible. Also have you sat down over some ice cream and had a chat asking him to please tell you what it is specifically that is bothering him about school. Tell him "running away" by getting in trouble is not the answer. Ask him is there a teacher, something he is struggling with etc...I know it's hard to get boys to open up, so think of what gets him to talk.

Anonymous

• Is there possibly an alternative type high school near you? I HATED school and would constantly ditch or get in trouble to get kicked out. I ended up going to an alternative high school as basically a last option because it was that or drop out. And I LOVED it. I mean it was my senior year and I wished I could spend more years there. It wouldnt hurt to look into a school like that because you still get a high school diploma and I learned way more there than at the traditional high school I was going to.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 12:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• is there a night school in your area?
    or homeschooling.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 12:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i thought along the same lines till my pop threatened(very seriously) military school...they wont kick you out...
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree with military school, they will give him the discipline he needs.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• That is a hard situation. The new school laws...NCLB.. are not making it any easier. I have 2 boys 11 and 15 with the same attitude. I have looked into militry school as well but just can't afford it. I give them love and support...." if you drop out, you get your ged and go to community college or move out of momma's house." They still want home cooked meals so we are good for now. Also look into the administration at the school....that is definately an eye opener, perpare to be shocked and disgusted.
    lucky_lady36274

Answer by lucky_lady36274 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Look into alternative high school or job corps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2009