Apperently I am a typical mom!!!

OK ladies I took my 8 1/2 month old to urgent care b/c I thought he had pink eye. long story short the doc looked in his EAR said he has an ear infection gave us meds for that and a med for his eye but never looked at it. So I asked how do you tell if they have ear infections b/c he was not pulling at his ear nor was he fussy...the darn freakin doc said I dont know!!!!! So my question to you ladies is how do you guys know if your little ones have an ear infection?

More to add he was not fussy he ate great and is always happy his eye was the thing that got me b/c he had green stuff coming out. OH and the urgent care was in Norman OK the new one on 24th!!! dont go there

Quintensmom

Asked by Quintensmom at 11:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my opinion... get a family practitioner.. i NEVER go to urgent care places.. they drive me crazy.
    Anonymous

• well I can only guess that their is alot of stuff going around and also looking into their ears is something they do no matter what.he could have a splinter and they will check his ears and basic stuff.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• my son never had any signs of an ear infection i would have to take him to his doc to have him check
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My little boy was diagnosed with a double ear infectoin this pst August. He had had a cold for the past week and then started running fever. He never acted like he was in pain, never lost his appetite and never pulled at his ears. If he had not started running fever, I would not have taken him into the doctor. Sometimes things can be really hard to pick up on, but you are the mom and you know your kid and you just have to learn what to watch for.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I am pretty sure not all ear infections require antibiotics. I thought now the new rule was to wait and see if there were not any symptoms because usually most cleared up on their own. Plus the over prescribing has caused resistant strands now.

I would get a second opinion from your pedi tomorrow if he is acting fine before giving the meds. Plus then he could get a better look at the eye.

One time for example I was told my daughter had a double ear infection and was given antibiotics. I gave her 2 doses and she was allergic, so I bring her in and they of course look at her ears and they were fine. Obviously that was not the meds, but they cleared up on their own. What a waste !!!
    Anonymous

• My son caught a cold when he was only a couple of weeks old, despite everything I did to prevent it. But I took him to the er just because he was so young and I freaked, and the cold wasnt even that bad, but they told me he had a dubble ear infection. I had absolutly no clue, I just though he had a cold. I felt terrible. A visitor must have snuck it in on us.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Children will not always show the typical symptoms but I would tke him to his regular pedi just to double checked simply because of the other doctor's answer.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If your son is not fussy dont give the antibiotics for his ear... a lot of kids take them with out needing the infection will go away on its own.

Urgent care sucks!!!!!
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 6:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2009