How do you get a 2 1/2 year old to get rid of the pacifier?

I want my daughter to lose the pacifier but she seems too attached. How can I get her to get rid of it?

munchkin143

Asked by munchkin143 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter doesnt use one, but I did when I was a baby, my mom said we moved when I was 2 and she was just like "we left the paci at the old house" so kind of the cold turkey method, she will be upset for a couple of days maybe but you may be suprised about how easy it may be, good luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I saw this on SuperNanny. Have ur child put the nuk's into a big envelope, on the outside write "to: babyland" or something, and explain 2 ur child that little babies need these Nuks, and have him put them in the mailbox. then (when he's sleeping) go throw them out in the trash. the next morning when he wakes up show him the empty mailbox and tell him how the mail man came and took his nuks to the babies who needed them. It worked pretty well on the show!!
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 1:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• We had the same problem with our daughter. She was extremely attached to the pacifier ( she called it her num num.) We didn't know how we were going to break her of it, but then one day she lost it before bed time and we couldn't find it so we told her that it was lost. She cried for awhile that night and then asked for it a few times the next few days, and then that was the end of the pacifier. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
    austinsmommy303

Answer by austinsmommy303 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My second two kids did not use them because of my first's attachement. We rounded them up and gave them to the Easter Bunny so they could be given to new babies at the hospital. The bunny left a very special gift. She neve cried, but did ask for it a few times. She did so well we were surprised. I think we were attached to the binky with her in a sense. My daughter would hold 2 and have1 in her mouth. Just make sure she doesn't have any hidden away--check under beds, couches, everywhere!!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My son kept loosing it in his crib and waking me up because he couldn't find it.I just threw it away.A week of crying every night followed that.But he got over it.And I got to sleep again.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• bye-bye paci celebration. aka...you're a big girl now!! make a bigger deal out of how big she is than how much she thinks she needs it. make take a day or two, but totally worth it. (then you will find all the ones you lost so you can throw them away...lol)
    greeneeyore69

Answer by greeneeyore69 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2008