Why are women on here so against formula feeding?

Its not your baby so why are you so concerned about it. I am not being rude. I am just trying to understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont care whether a baby is formula fed or breat fed as long as they are loved.
    But I think that alot of moms get angry (from both sides formula and breast feeding) Because we all have different beliefes. I personally choose to breast feed, its cheaper and I love the connection. And some people disagree that I shouldnt breast feed as long as I do but whatever...people just like to get their way and if they dont they get mad
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• beastmilk is the best thing for your baby to eat. formula works....but there is all sorts of stuff in it, just like the gross processed foods we eat. im not a boob fanatic... my baby is on formula, but i gave it a go and it didnt work for me, I dried up even on reglin. I think every woman should at least try to do it.. not breastfeeding for selfish reasons is mean to your baby.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 12:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I am all for breastfeeding. I do however let my DD have formula if there's no pumped milk and I'm out. As a mom do your best. I BF for several reasons but one of my fav reason's is when she wakes in the night all I have to do is bring her to my bed and lift my shirt so she can help herself. I'm actually awake maybe 4 mins. That way I'm not loosing too much sleep. I have 2 other kids I have to be alert for too! So that is my selfish reason.
    If you want to formula feed, go ahead, it's not harming my baby!
    As for why some women are so concerned about what other's choose to do......... I have no idea. I know plenty of kids have been formula fed and have turned out fine. I was for crying out loud!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I don't understand either.
    Yes, breastmilk is best. But some women can't. And some women just don't want to. Why is it anyone else's business? And why the extremely nasty, hateful language and phrasing from the "lactivists"? If anything, such behavior hurts their cause. Just like any negative, nasty tactic hurts the group that does it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm not againsit it. I did both for my son. I wanted to exclusively breastfeed, but inverted nipples just did not let that happen. I pumped for 6 weeks and then dried up and had to go with all formula. I think it is a personal choice for each mother to make. I do believe breastfeeding is the way it was intended, but I also know that it does not work for everyone and some people just can not do it for different reasons. My little boy is very healthy even though he was fed mostly formula.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I am against it because I feel that every mother should put her baby as her first priority, also her baby's health as her first priority. Giving formula because you "dont want" to breastfeed is extremely selfish. A large percentage of babies dont do well on formula and contsantly have tummy aches, it makes them spit up, have acid reflux and colic. Why would you give something to your baby that very potentially could do all of these things when the most available, perfect and cheap food is already right there? It's just selfish. Babies dont get to make choices, they have to be made by their mothers, and I think that every mother should make the choice that the baby would pick if he/she could. Who wouldnt choose the tastier, healthier, all around better of the two?

I just think it's plain selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• continued....

I have absolutely NOTHING against mother's who are 100% unable to breastfeed. Only 2% of women actually dont produce enough milk for their babies, and then their are the women who take medication that isnt compatible with breastfeeding, which is fine. Still, there are options besides breastmilk. There's donated breastmilk and homemade formula, both of which are STILL better alternatives than formula.

It just seems like any mother would go to all extents to do what is best for her child, and I dont understand women who are too focused on themselves to do this for their babies.

Bet you wouldnt have guessed that i'm only 18. If I can do it, why cant all the other women?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• its just not as natural. but im not AGAINST it to each his own i suppose, but me personally i dont like it because it is not as natural & pure
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• What do you mean "I'm only 18. If I can do it, why can't all the other women?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When you talk about breastfeeding there are loads of reasons why it is the best food for baby. When it comes to a community point of view you are looking at reduced sicknesses leading to less sick time taken by parent and child, reduced _fill in the blank here_, all of which lessen medical costs leading again to lower health insurance costs. Reduced costs to the government by not needing to provide an already free food and the ability of tax payers money to be used to provide food for a larger amount of struggling families(just one example). Reduced refuge (packaging, bottles). Natural child planning for those unable to afford (or use / whatever) birth control. Then add on top of all of that the risks that formula introduce into an infants life. It is best for everyone when mom breastfeeds even when looked at from a community pov.

Anonymous