When is spitting up too much?

My son is six weeks old and takes about 4oz every 3 hours or so. And he seems to spit up a lot and rather frequently. And it seems to be becoming worse in this last week. And nothing has changed. Sometimes, its just a little bit, but other times its a lot. For example I had to change his clothes 3 times today. His doctor doesn't seem to be concerned because he is having plenty of wet diapers, and is gaining plenty of weight. It just worries me. And I try my best to feed him upright, and to burp him, and to not lay him down right after a feeding, but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Oh and also, any tips to help him sleep through the night?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possible some acid reflux. Have you asked your dr about that? My dd spat up alot and then all of a sudden just stopped, but recently has gotten worse again. we give her a little Mylanta, and some solids before bed and it helps calm the stomach. But my dd is 11 months, so I would talk to your dr or get another dr's opinion before trying that.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 12:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter spit up a lot too....and it has only recently begun lightening up...at 8 mo. It isn't anything to worry about unless it seems to be bothering him. It is a pain though...changing clothes all day! I got to the point where I would just keep a bib on her all the time. I had to work my daughters schedule around it beginning around 5 mo. or so. She used to feed right before bed...but ended up not being able to go to sleep because of all the spitup! So...I ended up timing feedings an hour or so before bedtime or nap times. It worked out well because she learned to soother herself to sleep at a young age (i.e. not falling asleep at the bottle or breast). Now, I just lay her down and leave the room and she rolls over and goes to sleep.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My guy goes through phases like this. We just had four glorious days of NO spit up, it was amazing! Today he's making up for it! Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? If it's breast, it may be something in YOUR diet...otherwise you may want to switch to a gentler formula. I'd consult a doctor prior to trying any medications. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• If they are losing weight and/or getting dehydrated, then they are spitting up too much.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sounds like some possible reflux? My 4mo DD spit up a lot until she was about 2 1/2 months and we had her on a low dose of Zantac- seemed to help a lot.. now she just drools all the time :) We got her to sleep either in her swing or on her tummy.. no back sleeping for our crazy kid until about 3 weeks ago!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My daughter did this ALL the time! I carried two diper bags 1 just for cloths and one for food, thats how bad it got. She had reflux, They put her on meds for it, but the meds DONT STOP THE SPITING UP! They just control the acid from burning their month and gums. But it is still important that they have it. Talk to your Dr. about switching formula or thicking her milk with some cereal. But honsetly my daughter did it until she was 9 months old and i took her off the bottle all together and put her on whole milk, and table foods now she is fine! They just gotta grow outta it
    Madilynsmommy27

Answer by Madilynsmommy27 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009