How do you wean off of a bottle?

I have my son weaned from the 2 mid-day bottles, but how do you go about weaning from those tough ones- first a.m. bottle and nighttime bottle? He is 13 months.

Asked by NoahsMommy587 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would only give her one at night for a few days then it was just strickly sippy cups! it took her some getting used too and a few screaming fits!! and now she doesnt even take the sippy cup at night!!

Answer by calliandmomma07 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I started just putting water in it and eventually they got sick of just having water.

Answer by pbjmoore at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I am a firm believer in cold turkey. It's tough but it can be done, my daughter was whiney for only a couple of days but she lived.

Answer by bethany_smith at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• with my daughter i just got sippie cups that has the part that you drink from is like a bottle and she started using regular sippie cups

Answer by kaitbowk95 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• for me I just took the bottle away a 8 months and starting using sippie cups.

Answer by sjdchbkr at 1:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I did not wean my daughter. I just went cold turkey and it only took 1 day.

Answer by Jordyn1202 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I started weaning all my children at 11 months, and by 12 months, they were totally off the bottle. I had not trouble with any of them. I would eliminate 1 bottle each week, with the bedtime bottle being the last one. They were using sippie cups by then, so in the morning, I put them in their high chair with a sippie cup of whole milk and their breakfast. When I took the night time bottle away, I gave them a sippie cup of whole milk before going to bed, and they were fine. Good luck!

Answer by mommmyof5 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I was bad with this with my first one and tried a bunch of ways with no success. until one day we just threw them all out and delt with her being cranky for a night or two. It was only for one night that she was cranky. Im hoping to be more successful with my son and get it gone by his first birthday.

Answer by Shannon85 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• One day my son, who was about 18 months or so, thought it'd be fun to suck in the milk, then open his mouth and let it spill everywhere, laughing the whole time.....I was not so amused. I took all teh bottles right then and made a big deal about throwing them out. Sippy cups from there on out, no problems. He drinks from a big boy cup now.

Answer by MusikMama at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i had to just throw his bottles away and let him scream it out while constantly giving him a sippy

Answer by crissy386 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008