How do I get my 3 year old daughter to wake up on her own and go to the restroom at night?

She is already potty trained she just won't wake up during the night unless I wake her.

Asked by nicoleomb at 2:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't really answer this question for you, all I can lend is some advice to be patient! I peed the bed until I was 11...Yeah 11 that was not a typo! I don't know what my problem was...I just COULD NOT wake up for the life of me! Anyway, my mom put plastic on my mattress so I didn't ruin my bed...and when I'd go to sleep overs...After everyone else went to sleep I'd run in the bathroom and slip on a ull up type deal.

Answer by Stephanie528 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your daughter may not be ready to get up on her own to use the bathroom- wait to see if she can go dry all night and if she can she's ready.
    Otherwise you could wake her the same time every night to get her to go to bathroom and eventually she will learn it on her own.

Answer by anne246 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• She probably is not ready to wake up on her own. I had to set an alarm in my room and go get my son up every night so he could stay dry all night long! Good Luck! Don't give up!

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If she's peeing the bed, try to not give her liquids so close to bedtime. No drinks of water, nothing like that, and INSIST she tries before going to bed, give her a reward for even trying. like stickers or something. give her a goal when i was potty training my DD I told her if she went two weeks without and accident she would get the fleece blanket that matched the sheets I got her for christmas. hope this helps, goodluck!

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 4:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 9 yr old sister still wets the bed. You might try one of the alarms they have that will wake them when they start going. Or since she is only three, just keep her in pullups at night. Part of the problem with my sister is she wears herself out during the day and sleeps super soundly. I don't know if your daughter naps, but it might help. Also, when she does start taking care of it on her own, praise her so she feels good about doing it more.

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Is she wetting at night? If she is not waking up wet then I would not worry about it, she doesn't need to get up. If she is wetting at night then maybe get her some nighttime pull-ups or something. Eventually she will wake up on her own and go to the potty, but for now there is nothing you can do to get her to wake up on her own. Make sure she goes potty before bed and no water or liquids at least an hour before bed.

Answer by seakla at 1:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008