Needing to know

I have a laptop..in good condition..it just no longer has the charger..and i was wondering how much i should sell it for considering whoever bought it would have to buy a new charger..the computer is between 800-1000 brand new(it's 1 year old) and a new charger is 49 dollars.

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not sure where you plan on selling it, but be very careful with selling electronics. There are way too many scams involved with them.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would say with it being used and all 2 or 3 hundred bucks. To be honest thats about all you are going to get out of it. Now if you do it on E-bay you might get lucky and get more money from it. But with it not having the charger. I kinda doubt it. Good luck!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Not sure. Check Craigslist and Ebay for similar Ads and see what they are going for. Like pupmom said, watch out for scams. Take CASH ONLY and don't meet strangers alone. Go with someone and to a very public place. Some folks on Craigslist were robbed during the transactions.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• if i sell it i would have my husband do the transaction....i guess i should rephrase my question...how much would YOU pay for a fairly new laptop with no charger?
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• it depends on what it has. how much hard drive it has on it, what programs were on it, and so on.
    jenke

Answer by jenke at 2:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Just be careful and make sure you have erased everything the best that you can. Even when you think you have erased everything, it is still retrievable, unless you remove the hard drive.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It depends on what is inside it. How much you paid isn't representative of how useful the laptop would be to me. What brand? What processor? How big is the hard drive? How much ram and rom? What kind of sound and graphics cards? What software will be already fully installed on the hard drive? What accessories will come with it? What technology comes inside the laptop? Bluetooth? Other wireless? Fingerprint reader?

The most important thing is the processor. You can expand everything else, but even if you replace a processor, it will not really improve your computer. Learned this in computer class.

So, figure out all that and message me and I would be happy to try and figure out what the laptop would be worth.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• And you can fully erase your stuff from the hard drive if you want to pay for it. Go to a computer business and they should be able to do it.

Another way to completely get rid of a file is to save something new in it's place. If you only have a few files that you would be worried about, just find a file that would be okay left on the laptop and then save it with the same file name and type as the one you want to delete in the same location and it should overwrite the old file. That is why files are retrievable, because they aren't really deleted but made available space for new files, so they are retrievable until a new file is saved over the old one. Then it is really gone for good.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You would need to find out the depreciation rate for such an item per year to get your selling price and then subtract the amount of the charger so the buyer would get a break when buying it.
    Be sure to restore it to the manufacturers specs (the way you purchased it) before you sell it so none of your personal information is left on it.
    You may also leave on anything brand new to help sell it, such as Microsoft Office (or Word) 2007.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I don't know specifically, as you'd need the brand name and exact age and software information to get an accurate sale price for it, but it seems to me that it would seriously be worth your while to get a charger for it before you sell it, and sell it complete. Also, with a charger you would be able to be SUPER certain that ALL your files have been deleted and the drive is as clean as possible with as much available memory on it as possible. That way, you'll get a lot more money for it. If you know someone in IT who could clean your system up for you before you sell it, they might know someone who's looking for what your laptop offers, and they could hook you up. I've done that before, both with buying and selling.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2009