Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My neighbors are fighting almost every night, what do I do? (Sorry it's kinda long)

We live in an apartment and our neighbors (a couple in their 20's, hopefully not married) get into screaming fights with each other all the time. They slam doors, throw things, and the woman screams like he is pointing a gun at her (but I'm positive he's not). It seems as though she is the instigator in most, if not all, of their fights, and I honestly am more worried that the man is in danger. But they are both huge, so I don't really know what to think about that. I swear every time they use a door they slam it, sometimes hard enough to shake me on the couch and knock stuff off of shelves on the opposite side of our apartment. They wake us up at 1 and 2 in the morning, and when our toddler is up and hears them fight he gets scared. We have already told our landlord and she said she would "take care of it", but nothing's changed. Honestly, I'm horrified of both of them and the one time I saw them was when they were first moving in a few months ago, and they gave me dirty looks for no real reason. We share a front porch and a back patio with them, and I'm worried they'll start harassing us if they find out that we went to the landlord, and we haven't called the cops because I'm not really sure what they could even do, I don't think it's a domestic violence situation. I'm just at a loss...


Asked by jgagesmommy09 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2011 in Relationships

Level 4 (30 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • It's disturbing the peace, and you really should call the cops each and every time an argument erupts.

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • Call the police and continue to do so until some resolution is made. I would also write a letter to your lanlord and let her know you feel unsafe in your own home. If nothing is done, let her know your rent will start going into an escrow account until the situation is resolved and you are back to feeling safe. You would have to look into how the account works. All I do know is that you pay your rent but not to the landlord. It is kept in an account until whatever issue is the problem is resolved.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • Call the cops everytime. And keep calling until they send someone out to check things out

    Answer by shineyllamatues at 1:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • first of all start a journal keep up with it every time they start stuff or slam stuff write it down and call the cops because it doesn't have to be domestic abuse to disturb the peace and if it's disturbing you then it's disturbing your peace... there is no need for that but I suggest that you ask the cops to call you first and get your report before they talk to the other party for fear of retribution. or call you and meet you at the laundry mat or somewhere other than your front door.


    Answer by traren at 1:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • I agree with the other ladies. Plus, if they do start to harass you because you file complaints, you can then apply to get a restraining order against them. The fact that you share outdoor spaces with them will be their problem, not yours - they will have to stay away from you.


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • Oh - something else to consider - if it's that loud, I would consider recording it, showing the sounds, showing where things have been knocked off the shelf, etc - then show that tape to your property manager, and possibly to the cops. (And keep it if you need to get the restraining order - so you can show that they have anger issues, and that they are now bothering you because you filed a complaint about the noise...)

    good luck!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • I would call the cops everytime they did that especially at night.

    Answer by canelamami at 3:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • Call the cops but ask for annonimity.

    Answer by robinkane at 7:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • I agree with the others. Call the police every time they are disturbing the peace. They will eventually move.

    Answer by mrsgino at 9:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

  • Call the cops ,that is disturbing the peace ,they sound very toxic!

    Answer by momto4girzls at 9:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2011