Financial charities for ...

i am not in charities yet and am thinking of what is mostly the reason for people to donate their money to charities. i understand the nobile act of giving and helping others but i also am interested on how does the Americans see it working well for their personal growth. do you calculate on how much to donate by the end of a year to receive more or less money on your tax return to be filled on soon or is there simply no other underlying reasons rather than the support for the needy? how do you do it? i became an American not a very long time ago and am not yet on a v. stright financial path hence my 'obscure' question. i'd prefer to hear some honest answer but critique, simply by learning. did you donate money in the past and what was your underlying reason of doing so. of todays i could donate to my church or for instance to leaukimia society or to support any education or science or run in a marathon, simply by connecting with those thu experience. possibly others too :) could you tell me how's that working in your case? thank you and may God bless you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• At the moment I give to random things that touch my heart at any given time, I don't wait to see what I get back on taxes or anything like that, if I have extra at certain times to give so be it, I also do not claim my church givings on my taxes.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I give tithes based on religious reasons, but instead of giving them to my church I give them to the local Pregnancy Life Care Center. But I also get a tax receipt when I donate used clothes and other items to Goodwill and I do claim all of it on my taxes. I couldn't possibly donate enough to offset everything on my taxes, but it helps.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• We used to pay tithes to our local food bank. (Jesus said, "if you love me, feed my sheep")
    We donate to St. Judes Childrens Hospital, where nobody is turned away for lack of money, and it's some of the best care in the country. We donate to Paralyzed Vetrans, and many other random groups. We give our childrens hand me downs to people who can use them.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• When you hear from someone recently graduating from a business college that he has learned that the best way to make money and being exempt from taxation is to open an organization and to find out that there are millions of organizations worldwide and still millions of people in need.....what's there to do?
    We get a couple of letters every week reminding us that it's been long time since we made our last donation. We are doing the smart thing we are donating money to lobbyist to change government policies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I give when I see a need that I can help.
    kpav

Answer by kpav at 9:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• Oh, and congratulations on becoming an American:)
    JackieGirl007