how to get my 3year old daughter to sleep by herself?

she has been sleeping with me since she turned 1 now at 3 im trying to get her to sleep on her own ?

pamela24

Asked by pamela24 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• consistancy......it may take a few sleepless nights for you...but put her in her bed and tell her she stays in it..also get a nightlight in her room kids tend to be afraid of the dark at the age....if she gets up simply get up and put her back in her bed.....the crying it out method works with this as well....if she cries simply go in let her know everything is fine and leave...it will suck and drive you nuts..just keep doing it she'll get it...
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 3:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Here's what I did: Once he was in bed, he was given a snack and water to drink. I would read to him then suddenly "remember something I forgot" and tell him I would be right back. Then I came right back - I would keep doing this, each time leaving the room for longer and longer and always coming back. This only took a couple of days to get him used to falling asleep on his own without tears. My son also decided that he needed something of mine to hold, so he would take my hair clip out and click himself to sleep. When I left, I would also offer him the choice of keeping his door open or closed, trying to give him as much control over the situation as possible. My son also knew where I was and sometimes would call out (but not leave his bed), and I would respond...generally with one last hug. If he wasn't in bed, then no hug until he was.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• try taking some of her favorite toys away 4 a day @ tell her that if she stays in her bed 4 the night , @ goes to sleep until u get her up in the morning, that she will get the toy back in the morning.
    keep doing this until she understands what u mean
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm in the same boat with my 4 yr old. We are working on him falling asleep in his own room before we get to sleeping all night in his own room. Usually about two hours after asleep he comes in my room. When he gets really tired, I tell him I have to go to the bathroom and i will go in there for a minute, and sneak out without flushing (i never really went anyway).
    Now he is pulling the "im afraid of this..and that" routine. I'm talking something new every night. Last night it was his blanket he was afraid of. (hes slept with that blanket for two years now!)
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When you find out please let me know. My three year old sleeps with me and my husband and you can only imagine that my husband is not too thrilled about it. I put him in his bed but before the morning comes he always ends up in our bed between us. When you find out the remedy please let me know. LOL
    reddbone112

Answer by reddbone112 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Its going to take some time and alot of patience. My lil lady is 3, she started off falling asleep in my bed, but I would put her in her own bed after. Then I read stories to her in her bed, we talk a little then our prayers, I will stay a little while then I will tip toe out the room....She used to wake back up when she felt me move, so then I would get up and start like folding clothes or cleaning up a bit as long as she still saw me she would be ok, then drift off. oh and a night light helps too.
    Niamom

Answer by Niamom at 12:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009