What age do you let your kids have coffee?

I've always let my kids have sips whenever they wanted to and now they both have turned into regular coffee drinkers. My 7 year old has one or two cups before school, and my 14 yr old now drinks it before school and after school. Our ped said he has no problems with it but my sister thinks coffee is bad for kids. Do your kids drink coffee?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, 14 y.o. dd and I drink lots of coffee. It is better than the drugs for ADHD.
    mrsgino

Answer by mrsgino at 8:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• MIne never liked it. My dd started drinking it around 14 though, she is the only one who seems to like it, shes 22 now. My sons who are 18 & 19 tried it at around 12-13 and didnt like it. My 11 and 6 yr old have never tried it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I can't talk, I drink coffee all day long. My 8 yr old has a couple cups a day and my 13 yr old is like me she drinks it before school, after school and in the evenings, and neither puts sugar in it. We don't drink soda or any sugary drinks so if they enjoy coffee I don't have a problem with it.
    SherrieMomof2

Answer by SherrieMomof2 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• My 14 year old has loved it for years. It doesn't stunt growth, she is 5' 8"!!!!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• My son has been sipping our coffee since he was 6 or 7. I drink mostly decaf so that is what he was drinking. Now that he is 13 and has been ADHD since 3 he has a cup of regular coffee before he goes to school. My 15 yo can't stand the taste of coffee.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• My oldest is allowed occasionally but it's more of a Mocha here and there. My 6 yr old is not allowed outside of the random sip I may allow when I taste a new flavor of a Starbucks coffee or something. We aren't regular coffee drinkers anyway. I couldn't tell you the last time I bought coffee to have in our house. My fiance did take me out to breakfast after church this past Sunday and I had a cup then but outside of you occasional coffee from Starbucks while shopping or something nope.

I'm weird I don't allow my kids to drink lots of things other kids may be allowed to have. My oldest had to wait til she was 10 to drink soda and it's still only one every other day and my 6 yr old isn't allowed any at all. Milk, water and light juices are what they consume the most.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• my kids have never had coffee and I plan to keep it that way...they mostly drink water and milk and soda occasional like when we go out to eat which isnt often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• At 5'11", I'm living proof that the whole "stunt your growth" thing isn't true! My mom let me have sips of her coffee at a young age. And I turned into an occasional coffee drinker in my young teens. I let my 5 year old have the occasional sip of mine. I'm not talking sit and guzzle sips from my cup the entire time. I'm talking maybe 1 or 2 sips and that's it, and not every day either. Once she's older, I see no problems with letting her have an occasional cup. But that's just how I grew up.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• the boys who are 5 and 3 will occasionally have a sip of daddys, and thats maybe 2-3 times a month
    unless they are old enough to be working and making their own decissions they will not be getting coffee in my house regularly
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 10:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2011

• My kids drink it once in awhile they are 9, 15 , 19
    LATINAICE

Answer by LATINAICE at 10:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2011