DOG ISSUES!!!

I have a 6 lb. chihuahua mix, he is EXCELLENT with my kids and that is basically the ONLY reason why I keep him! He is a doggy school drop out! He just couldn't even learn to sit, he is HORRIBLE in the car and tries to jump out while we're moving, he can not walk right on a lease and he is passive aggressive. He knows the rules, no getting on furniture and no steeling my babies food off her plate! But he does it any ways! He is an embarrassment at the dog park! And the worst of it is he WILL NOT potty train, even after 2 years of trying. I only have so many words I can type so I can not tell you in detail all of my efforts that I have given this dog but trust me I have! .....what answer I'm looking for or even the question I'm asking.... I dunno! But I need to be able to live with this dog and need help to do it. How oh how can I get him to behave or should I give him up??? Help!!
After 2 years is it a lost cause??

Torty_Mama

Asked by Torty_Mama at 1:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Send him to obedience school. Or take a class with him, so you both learn together. I know that petCo offers training classes, you should look into it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I did! And he failed!! They told me to do it again so I did and half way though the second Basic class I give up!
    Torty_Mama

Answer by Torty_Mama at 1:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• apply for the dog whisperer
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I would say it's time to rehome the dog. If you have tried everything that you think possible, and the dog still won't learn . . . . then find the dog a new home. I would want a dog that pottied where my child plays, no matter how much I like the dog.
    If you are at the end of your ropes, then rehome the dog! You'll be glad you did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I am not kidding with this answer: There's a show called "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stilwell as the trainer on the show. They are actually LOOKING for people who want their dogs trained and will be on the show. I've watched the show both on BBC and now on American Cable tv and I love her style of training. I'd watch the show, see if you like her style and then see if you'd like to be on the show!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm not trying to sound critical here. Don't give up on him, all dogs can be well behaved. As long as you don't keep through in the towel. Take him to a trainer that can work with him one on one and will show you how to make him behave. Get a book on Chihuahuas. I have one myself and he's five. That can be turds about going in the house. Take him out often and when your sleeping or not home lock him up! Mine gets locked up w a baby gate blocking his bed in the corner, and he only has room for his bed, and they aren't gonna go in their own bed. When he misbehaves put him in timeout in his bed and tell him no imed. Train him to STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• For potty training, get a crate, just big enough for her to lay down in but not big enough for her to mess in and avoid laying in it. Put her in it at night and several times a day, for a little while. ALWAYS take her outside IMMEDIATELY to potty whenever you let her out. Take her outside 5 minutes or so after eating. Give her treats and lots of praise when she pottys outside, and if you catch her in the act inside, scold her, then clean it up and drop the issue. If you find the mess after the fact, just clean it up and go on. Dogs don't remember stuff like that over about 5 minutes. She will probably howl and whine when she is first put in the kennel for a couple of weeks, but she will get to like her kennel soon, and will learn that it is "her" special place. Don't use it for punishment, but just to potty train her.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2009