How do I get my 6 yr old son to stop whining and throwing fits?

This is a new thing for him. he has spent alot of time with his SPOILED cousins lately and has picked up this very annoying habbit. And no I do not give in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Punishment!!! Take away the things he likes the most like toys, games and TV and he will snap out of it little by little. It will take time, but he will give in. My 4 year old started doing that. Throwing herself on the floor kicking and screaming and when I started taking away the TV and her favorite toys she stopped it. I use to send her to her room to have some quiet time and reflect on what she was doing. After calming down she will come out of her room and apologize. It worked for me, but try it. Every child is different in their own unique way... Good luck
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 2:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Ignore the fits.And reward him when he isn't acting spoiled.He will catch on that behaving is more fun.Some kids think any attention is good attention, even the yelling and punishing.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh my kids definately pick up on other kids' behaviors and I hate that!!!

I just have to watch how much time they spend with other kids when the other children ARE acting up and try to monitor what's going on and being said.

Then at home later I have a harder job than usual :(
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Try the Positive Discipline book by Jane Nelsen. It has turned my life around. I have a 7 and 2 year old. I'm not kidding when I say it took about 3 days to see results!
    readingcara

Answer by readingcara at 4:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• continue on your path. tell him that if this is hte kidn of behavior you will get when he visits them, he can't go back. and you could add an additional punishment for every time he does it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem. My 6 year old does this as well. I pick up his skinny behind and carry him to his room. I then tell him something like this. "You WILL NOT act this way iN MY home. You will not throw fits to get what you want. If I say NO then thats the end of it. I'm the mom and I know best. You can stay in here and cry if you want to, but dont come out until you are done." I dont shut the door, and he can come out when he is ready. It works great.
    '
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I like taracv's answer
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• well the only way i know is bust his butt. not hard enough to hurt him but hard enough to get his attention. My 5yr old step-son likes to throw a fit but his idea of a fit is to throw his toys. I take the toy and bust his butt and tell him that he will not act like a wild animal in his father and I's home. He usually calms down and says he is sorry and hugs me.
    rebel_mommy88

Answer by rebel_mommy88 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2008