What does back labor feel like?

I have had a dull back ache all day, from the time I woke up this morning. I usually have a back ache in the mornings but once I'm up and moving around it goes away. This however hasn't, I went to the doc yesterday and they said that I'm having sciatic nerve pain. Could this be associated with it? This pregnancy has been totally different than with my daughter. I have had every symptom in the book. I'm just wondering what it feels like. TIA!!

momma2b2008

Asked by momma2b2008 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• To me it felt like a big charlie horse knot in your tummy on any one side accompanied by heavy menstrual like cramps....

Answer by older at 3:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• Like Satan himself is stabbing you in the back.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I second FreeForAll's answer. It is not dull pain by any means, back labor feels like the devil has come to stab you repeatedly in the lower back. It is HORRIBLE!!!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• It is different for everyone, I had two natural childbirths and I would not even come close to a stabbing from Satan........

Answer by older at 3:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I hated it. It's constant pain that doesn't let up in between contractions.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I didn't have much back pain throughout my pregnancy, but somehow had excruciating back labor. Sorry if this is TMI but I was in so much pain at one point that I completely lost all control of my bodily functions. I literally was barfing and going to the bathroom all at once. That's when I went from totally committed to a "natural" labor to finally requesting the epidural. It felt WORSE that what I image it feels like to have a knife slowly stabbed into your back and twisted all around. Seriously. And I tend to have a pretty high pain tolerance. I think you'll get a different answer from pretty much anyone you ask though -- everyone's experience is at least a little different than the next person's........

happymama110

Answer by happymama110 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I had that with my son.... it does feel like a dull backache but gets worse and worse. are you having contractions? if you are then you should be feeling the contraction int he back as well- kind of like really strong spasms and intense pain. it probably means that you baby is facing "sunyn side up" rather than down so the back of the head is causing preassure on your back. that was the acse with my son.
    stephanieplante

Answer by stephanieplante at 4:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• It started with a dull ache for 3 days, then when the contractions started I have to agree with a previous poster that Satan himself wrapped around my spine and alternated between trying to push my spine through my stomach and pull it through the skin of my back (but I do have nerve damage from before the pregnancy)..
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• i have terrible prob w sciatica. i only had back labor in the hospital. the lower part of my spine just hurt really bad that's all.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2011

• I had back labor with my first, and I didn't know I was in labor (never felt a single contraction) until my water broke. By that time, I was already dilated to a 5. Before my water broke, it honestly just felt like a constant backache that happened to get a little worse from time to time and then ease back up. Even in the late stages of labor, it wasn't unbearable. *I* didn't feel like I was being stabbed in the back or anything....but I labored sitting up, rather than laying down, and my husband spent the whole time either massaging my lower back or holding a heating pad on for me.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:00 PM on Oct. 26, 2011