Would you stil believe???????

If someone gave you solid proof that was undoubtable that all religions were false and only science was true, would you still believe???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Generally, that issue doesn't come up between my religious beliefs & science. Buddhism embraces new scientific discoveries while some other religions find conflict with them. They go together quite well.

Someone once had a brief conversation with the Da'lai Lama that would fit any religion & their faith. The man said to him "What if...." (and I can't remember the exact quote) science could prove reincarnation wasn't real. (Reincarnation is big deal in Tibeten Buddhism)  His Holiness replied that he would direct his followers to abandon Buddhism & persue a different faith.  Then he asked him HOW, exactly, he planned on proving reincarnation wasn't possible. The man didn't have an answer.   :-)

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I really hate questions like this...they show an unbelievable misunderstanding of the nature of both religion and science. And all they do is cause dissention.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I like questions like this - they do make you think.
    But I would still believe the same --- in the theory that science prevails.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well that depends i would have to see this solid evidence..but i was watching the history channel earlier and there was a show on talking about how science matches up with the theory of god (what i was watching was anyways) they were talking about the apaocolypse
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 5:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Religion requires no proof. It is based in the subjective and abstract--meaning the unobservable, both of which are unprovable.

Science is based in the objective and concrete--meaning the observable and testable. Science offers evidence and data---which are used to disprove or support hypotheses. If a hypothesis cannot be disproven or is supported, it is considered a theory...but a theory is still not 'proof', because it is generally understood that data could one day come up that disproves the theory also.

So the idea that there would be concrete, objective data to dispove something that is subjective and abstract is rediculous, regardless of an individual's religious affiliation (or lack of it).
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 5:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I think ANONs are cute.

I would believe that no matter what the lab says.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Would you Believe God is Real if I gave you Solid Proff? No you most likely wouldn't so, lets just all have our own beliefs! The Bible has been proven real over and over and still you must go on faith. B/c without faith you cannot get the whole picture.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 5:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• proof when in regards to religion, is in the eye of the beholder
    heathersarge

Answer by heathersarge at 7:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• lovingmomto3:  I would believe in god if there was concrete evidence to prove his existence.  I don't bury my head in the sand just because I don't like the evidence. 

Of course that doesn't mean I would worship him.  I have seen nothing that deserves my devotion.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yes Id still believe. Because, for me, my heart and soul guide me not what some dude "discovered" that could change at any time.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2009