Thrush

My baby boy has thrush and I'm wondering can I get it? I'm breastfeeding can it transfer to my breasts? What do I do if it's on my lips, mouth, or breasts? What are signs?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 4:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Health

• i dont think you can get it on you mouth but it can transfer to your breasts my daughter never had it but i do know it can (i was a big baby book reader) if you think you got it you should call you doctor you wanna get that taken care of
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 4:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It can get on your lips, and mouth. I never heard of it on the breast but I am sure it prob could. If you do have it, there is a blue "paint" they can put in the mouth and on the lips and it should go away in about 3 days or so. My son had it when he was little. And they gave me some stuff to swish but where he was so little they "painted" his mouth with the med.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 5:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Hi, First the signs of thrush are tiny little white dots or a white coating on the cheeks, tongue and gums. It is not easy to scape off. It can cause some discomfort They normally give nystantin to clear it up. For your little one they have you swab the mouth with the medicine. It is not normally transfered from the baby to you from the breast. It is important to keep your breasts clean so the thrush doesn't keep reoccuring. If your concerned about your risk just have the Dr. check you out.

decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 8:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It can and probably will end up on your breasts and it can also get into your mouth. Taking a probiotic(or acidophilus) will help keep it away and help it go away faster. The paint spoken of is Gentian Violet, it works well but stains everything purple. You can also use Grapefruit seed extract. http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

I'd use the GSE before the gentian violet, that stuff is really a pain.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Oh, and if it does end up on your breats you will know. Its VERY painful! I would treat now. It will literally feel like you have glass shards in your breasts.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2009