BF & Periods

I have a 5 month old... and two days ago i got my period... from what i've been hearing your not suppose to get your period if you bf... and my little boy wont take formula... whenever i give him the bottle he crys and acts like hes gagging...but since i got my period my milk supply has gone way down.. its not like im not producing milk... just not enough.... im just wondering what i can do to increase supply...i know alot of ppl say just let him suck on it...i feed him like every hour but its not helping..

maxi169

Asked by maxi169 at 4:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmm well some woman dont produce much milk and that sounds like you and your baby is gonna have to get used to formula. he wont like it my daughter didnt either but she got used to it. the reason they dont want to switch to formula is because breastmilk is sweet and formula isnt. and yes you do get your period when your breastfeeding but usually it comes later than women that dont..i cant belive you went 5 months without on i went one tops
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 5:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well i was producing alot before my period came...and im hoping that formula will be my last resort.. cause i really want to stick with bf...maybe it will increase after my period.. but i want to know what i can do to increase when my period comes
    maxi169

Answer by maxi169 at 5:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• well...i have no idea why the flow would change because of your period but the way to produce more is to breastfeed more often or pump the more you do that the more should come however you say your feeding him every hour so it seems silly to waste your life at the pump...i would say try and give him formula for what you lack in milk for now and see if it really is the period affecting your milk and if continues after your period then he may have to switch to formula
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 5:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• YOur health dept should have a lactation specialist. She could prob give you a few good hints as to what to do. And they are usually free to talk to. She can even come by or you can go there, she can help you out alot. At least mine did.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• how do you know that you are producing less milk? do you pump?
    SolielStarrMom

Answer by SolielStarrMom at 6:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i was in the same boat as you. i got my period after about 5 or 6 months and my supply suffered. i would nurse her for what seemed an hour and she was always still hungry. when you feed every hour are you getting a letdown each hour? there are some herbal remedies for supply...i think fenugreek, blessed thistle, and alfalfa may help, you will have to do some research on how much to take. do you have any BM in the freezer? that is what i did when my supply just couldn't keep up. i unfortunately eventually had to switch to formula because my supply could not keep up. i would suggest that you contact the la leche league for help if you are set on continuing to BF. they have a lot of resources including a forum for issues just like this. i hope you get to stick it out and dont have to go through the guilt i did, so good luck!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 9:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I had the same problem, but when DD was 2 months old. I called the lactation support service they said feed her & immediately afterward pump. It tricks your body into thinking you have twins. It didn't really work for me, but my husband wasn't supportive, he didn't help with her so that I could pump afterward. I also bought the Medela SNS (Supplemental Nurser System) so that I could "give" formula while she nursed, that did help, because she was nursing and still getting enough. I found the SNS hard to keep in place, but my breasts are disgustingly large. I tried fenugreek, it didn't help me, it does help some though. There's a tea called Mother's Milk which some swear by. There is something they can prescribe, but they're stingy with it. After 4 months of struggling and giving formula most of the time anyway I gave up. Broke my heart.
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Also, each time you get your period, your supply will drop. If, like me, you don't get enough sleep (b/c your still not sleeping through the night), or drink enough water and eat the right things, it will drop each time and never come back up until you've got like nothing left...
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Babies go through growth spurts where they seem hungrier than normal. Unless you are pumping you can't SEE what you're producing, and pumping almost never produces as much as your baby can suck. To tell if a BF baby is getting enough, we use diapers and weight gain. Your baby should be steadily gaining, and producing about 6 heavy wet diapers each day and 1 or more large poops every 1 - 7 days. If your baby is doing these things, your milk supply is probably just fine. If you're still worried, call your paediatrician or local LLL.
    Jinxiewolf

Answer by Jinxiewolf at 10:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My milk when down when I had my first period, but once it was over it came back. AS long as your baby seems fine don't worry about it quite yet, but you may need to supplement if your baby seems to need more.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2009