Question about Mystery Shoppers???

Does anyone know of any mystery shopper sites that are legit, like where you can get paid to go to stores and rate services? I preferably don't want one that requires me to evaluate western union services.. I keep hearing those are scams. I'm a SAHM of three kids and need extra income.

mamee1982

Asked by mamee1982 at 6:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Be careful I had one site find out my address, they sent me a large check. And told me to rate stores and send so much back to them. It was a scam. Just be careful out there while searching.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Every single one of these sites are legitimate: http://stuckathomemom.com/blog/archives/category/mystery-shopper

I have checked each company out personaly. StuckAtHomeMom.com is my site and sister site to Works4Mom.com - we were featured on the evening news.

Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have been Mystery Shopping for over 3 years! I am a Gold Certified shopper through the Mystery Shopping Providers Association! It's 100% legitimate. Once you have your MSPA certification you then have access to 100's of OTHER agencies that send you on Mystery Shops. You receive detailed email "invitations" to do shops, and you can elect to accept/decline them. You can earn anywhere from $5 to $50+ for a shop--they can take from 10 min-2 hours at the shop plus reporting time, sometimes you HAVE to make a purchase (which you can often return later) or maybe it's something you needed anyway--making it a win-win!

Continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I've done telephone interviews, health clubs, a variety of mall stores, grocery stores, movie theaters, oil change places, restaurants (casual and fine), bars, and many will pay/reimburse you for your ticket, oil change or meal! Some are only for their better shoppers...like the secretly video recorded shops!

Sometimes the online reporting can be very detailed (what was the name of the employee you spoke with, how many other customers were in the store at the time, how many lightbulbs were blown out, how many cakes were on display in the bakery window!) time consuming and are highly time sensitive--usually due within 24 hours. And you have to mail in your receipts for reimbursements or bonus pay (like taking a discrete picture of a sign or storefront!) . It is VERY flexible, and I think A LOT of fun!

LoriKeet

• LoriKeet, I have heard that MSAP is legit, but they charge you to work there. Their Gold Certified is $99.00!
    The mystery shopper companies I list are all free. The information is free, employment is free and they pay you.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• MSAP does not charge you to work. They have a section of their board where companies can post available jobs, but MSAP does not offer the jobs. They can't charge for what they don't offer. What MSAP offers is mystery shopping certification. You take a quick course through them to get certified. When you sign up with a lot of companies they will ask if you have an MSAP certification, but you can still sign up, and work, without one. Some companies will send available jobs to Gold certified members first, the Silver(which is only about $19, btw), then out to the rest of the members. They do this because they know certified members will file reports they can rely on.

OP ~ You will find a much more comprehensive list here:  http://volition.com/mysteryUSA1.html  That will take you to the first of three pages of legitimate secret shopping companies.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I always suggest starting your own business.  It's easier than you think, no money involved.  Check out http://www.stuffformoms.info/.  I even have links to two of my own business websites Virtual Assistant and Errand Service.  Check out my sites and see if you are interested in anything.  It might give you some ideas to use. 

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I haven't ever really tried mystery shopping, though I did find a site a few years ago that was legit... just don't remember what it was called.

One thing you may look into is Swagbucks. You collect points and can turn them into an Amazon giftcard after 450 points and 700 (I think) for Paypal. They are pretty easy to get if you download the toolbar and search with them.

Look into Pinecone Research also. They will send you an e-mail with a survey they want you to take and you'll get paid $3 for every survey you complete and you won't be kicked out or anything because everyone you fill out you will qualify for. I joined about a month and a half ago and have received about $18. It's not a lot, but they don't take much time to do.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:49 PM on Jul. 30, 2010