How do I get him to use a plate or bowl?

My 12 month old just throws his plate/bowl on the floor every time I give him one. If it doens't hit the floor he turns it upside down and dumps everything out of it. Is it too soon for me to expect him to use them? It seems like he should be doing it by now because the updates I get weekly for him say he should be starting to use a spoon by now but I can't really get him to do that if he can't use a bowl.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 6:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Spoon use is different than eating from a bowl - put a placemat down for now and put some soft noodles or banana on it to see if he transfers it from finger to spoon.

Don't stress - at one year he sounds like he's doing fine.....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sounds like he is right on track. My little ones always threw there bowls and plates in the floor. It was always a huge mess. But now mine are older and it isn't near as cute so just enjoy the time when throwing food on the floor is still cute. Cause for to much longer it will just be your messy little boys! LOL
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 7:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• How are you disciplining him when he does this? How long has he been feeding himself? MY oldest started solids at 4mo and we started letting him play around with feeding himself at 5-6 months. When he was a year old he never dumped his bowls or plates off the high chair. If he was done eating he occasionaly turned it upside down on the tray. I would tell him NO sternly and taught him to say/sign all done when he was finished instead of tossing his food.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 7:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i never gave my son a bowl unless i was feedin him myself because at 12 months its still too much for their little brains to understand the right way to eat. I always clean the high chair table off reall good, then put his food on his table wit a spoon because its gonna end up on the table anyway. Then about 15 to 16 months start teachin him the right way. My son is now 3 and he is the neatest child in his daycare class eatin. Good Luck on that.
    Shaygurl

Answer by Shaygurl at 7:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Besides when he is ready for the spoon, you will be able to tell because he will be using the spoon on the table and then he will relize that its hard, and then it easier for a bowl then make the transfer...ok mom
    Shaygurl

Answer by Shaygurl at 7:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• tape them down with duct tape, when he stops trying to dump them, stop taping them.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• We started with bowls and plates when we started offering finger and table foods at 6 months. They learned from the very beginning. We gave a fork at about 11 months...the spoon closer to 18 months. It's easier to stab food than scoop it.

As for working with him now...make sure he can model you...he sees you eating properly. If he throws his plate on the floor...it's gone. He'll cry and you tel him "we don't do that with plates" then give it back...he does it again, it's gone for good for the meal. (if he hadn't eaten that much yet, then YOU feed him, I guess. my guys usually only took the one time of the plate being taken...for that meal lol) It will take more than one meal, but you just work with him to learn proper usage.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• all kiddos are different. mine is 20 months old and still throws his plats or bowl.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I'm currently in the "transfer" with my 13 month old. I believe the bowl and spoon are different milestones. I think they just want them getting associated with the spoon/fork and then once they master that, they can move onto the bowl. My 13 month old would do the same thing your baby is doing right now too so I can't imagine it being very successful for many babies. What I did was just put easily scoopable foods on her highchair tray and let her have at it with the spoon. She's not very good at it yet, but at least she's trying a little.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 1:40 PM on Jul. 30, 2010