Do you sleep with your baby?

I plan on it simply because I'm lazy and don't want to get up and out of bed to breastfeed my child. What do you all do? Everyone says I shouldn't because it is hard to break the habit.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, we've coslept w/ all 3 of our children. Cosleeping is done all over the world, and it can be done safely. We let them transistion out on their own when they are ready. I love snuggling w/ them!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• yes she does and her father is the one who did it. and yes it is very hard to break i dont suggest it.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I always said I wouldnt but then I did. It can be dangerous though if you are a hard sleeper or roll around alot. If you do then I would suggest a cosleeper attached to your bed. I am not a deep sleeper and dont roll around so having them in bed with me was never an issue. It was easier for me to feed them, snuggle them, keep them warm etc. I am also for cosleeping in general because in my psych classes we learned that cosleeping is actually psychologically better for the child. They grow up more secure, have higher IQ's, better self esteem and are more likely to try things because they have never felt insecure or alone. But it isnt for everyone.

Answer by gemgem at 8:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Yep, slept with my son til he was 3, daughter never slept with her until she was older. She had sleep apnea and had to be on a monitor and all the doctors told us not to ..and if she had an episode or something happened, I'd feel bad...but she never had a spell and she occassionally sleeps in our bed, has for years. (she is 4). And yes we co sleep with our 9 week old.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• At night my ds always sleeps in his crib in his room, but sometimes during the day I'll sneak in a nap and cuddle time with him. The only reason he sleeps in a crib at night is because if he so much as wiggles a finger I will wake up. We both sleep better if he's not in the bed at night. Plus my dh rolls on top of me at night all the time so I can only imagine him rolling over on top on the baby and the baby can't slug him in the shoulder like I do.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 8:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I never did. I keep the basinettte right next to the bed, though. But I always took dd to a different room to breastfeed b/c I had so much pain and only certain positions worked well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• i do put my 13weeks old to bed in her own bed and then she wakes up about 4 hours in and i feed her and put her back. But then, she will wake up at 4am and every hour after that to eat... so i just leave her in bed with me between like 4 and 8.... we get to snuggle and i dont have to get out of bed! haha
    tiffani_qt2001

Answer by tiffani_qt2001 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I did sleep w/my babies when they were first born and we were home..... It was hard to break my oldest daughter-she is now 4 and has been sleeping in her bed for naps and bedtime since around 2....... My son still snuggles me at naptime-it is the easiest for us all-to get him to nap. And to keep the rest napping w/out disruption..... Our youngest, she didn't cuddle much-she likes her space and w/the stuff I delt with w/the other two we just didn't really snuggle as much after about a mo. old......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They say that babies and mothers who co-sleep sleep through the night sooner. I sometimes sleep with Kenzie if I can't get her to stay asleep while putting her in the crib. For a while I would take her to my bed with me and side-lying nurse her and so that she would learn to take a morning nap when I wanted her to. I could then either slip out and shower or (usually) nap with her. We couldn't do it at night b/c I was sure DH would roll over and kill her. Plus he was SO against the idea. Thanks, MIL!
    Live4HerSmile

Answer by Live4HerSmile at 10:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I slept with both my babies for years and it wasn't hard to break either one of them. They are 6 and 9 now and sometimes they still hop in to bed with us for extra snuggle time. Do what you feel is the right thing to do, and don't listen to anyone else. Your little one your choice, what was tough for some to break isn't tough for others.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2009