How do I make her stop breastfeeding?

My daughter will be 2 yrs old in 3 weeks and I can't get her to stop breastfeeding. During the day well I keep her busy, but when it's time for bed it's another story. Can someone please help me!!!!

ciaralis

Asked by ciaralis at 9:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why does she need to stop? She will when she's ready, she's still doing it because she likes the comfort it provides her.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It's great that you've breastfed this long! Do you want her to stop because it's inconvenient for you? Or do you think it's unhealthy for her? Extended Breastfeeding is very healthy for children. What you might want to consider is simply setting some rules and limits, but allow your daughter to decide when she's ready to stop. Finding comfort at the mother's breast is a great way to build a strong sense of security for children.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• My Son breast fed till he was 2 1/2. He was only nursing at night for the last 7 months or so of that time. He never had a binkie, or a blankie, or anything like that. I was his security blanket. I think she needs to be the one to decide when she is ready, or there will be a fight on your hands. Why cause undue stress on either of you. At 2 1/2, my Son started to show less and less interest so to make the break I started to count down every night. The first night he was able to nurse for 10 seconds, I counted backwards and he was done for the night, no problem, the next night was 9 seconds, and so on. By the last night he was on for 1 second, he rolled over and went to slep and never asked to breastfeed again.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Is there a reason you want her to quit now?? www.kellymom.com has a lot of great info on weaning and different styles of weaning I hope this helps.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• As long as you don't keep doing it till she's six I say let her till she's a little older. I knew a lady that breast fed till her kids were 6 and 7!! Freaky!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• It doesn't sound like she's ready to stop. Can Daddy take over nighttime duties?
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2009