My 2 dogs that I have had forever just got in a fight!

I got a new puppy a few months ago and since then the 2 dogs that I have had forever have gotten in 2 fights. This morning was the second one. My oldest dog was playing with the puppy (who is really about 6 months old) and then the middle dog jumped in and started attacking the oldest dog. She bit her and made her ear bleed a little. I had to jump in and seperate them....it was very scary! Does this sound normal at all? Should I be worried about leaving them alone?

keden66

Asked by keden66 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Sounds like they both think the puppy is "their baby" and one is trying to "protect" it from the other?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• Sounds like there is a power struggle going on. Dogs have a "pecking" order. There can only be one Alpha Dog and now that there is a new dog I think they are trying to figure out were he belongs, and who is most dominant. I would keep an eye on them for now, maybe lock the pup up when your gone. Hopefully nobody gets hurt badly, but I think it's something they'll have to work out amongst themselves.

Vet Tech-need advice?
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 12:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• YOu have to make yourself the "pack leader". You two older dogs are def trying to show dominance over the baby and each other. It is normal and natural but you still need to be calm and assertive and correct the actions when they happen. But of course be careful, dog fights can be dangerous.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 12:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009