The Power of Positive Thoughts vs. Prayer

"Positive thinking is a mental attitude that admits into the mind thoughts, words and images that are conductive to growth, expansion and success. It is a mental attitude that expects good and favorable results. A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action. Whatever the mind expects, it finds. "

Prayer vs Good Thoughts... Does it matter to you?? Does it matter if someone says they will say a prayer for you vs. thinking good thoughts for you or your family??

Personally it doesn't matter to me... you get back what you put out there... so if your sending positive energy out into the universe you are going to get positive energy back. Makes no difference if it's in the form of a prayer or a thought - either way it's a win/win for all. But, that's just me ;o)

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think they are basically the same thing ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2011

• Good thoughts means you still have some faith in the human power to make good happen. Prayer means you have no faith in yourself but rely on god to intervene for you.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• Prayer means you have no faith in yourself? That's not the way I see it. I think prayer and positive thoughts are both good things, that can be used together. But if I pray for my chlid to be protected out in the big bad world, I am asking God to watch over my child. If I send that positive thought out there, it's just a wish. My God is powerful. Your thoughts are thoughts.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• For me, they are essentially the same thing.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2011

• clarity333, my life is full of evidence. I'm not saying you can't use your thoughts to bring about results, you can. But your thoughts are not the power that created the universe. You cannot create life with your thoughts, can you?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• They're similar, but not the same. Because there's the fundamental difference that "good thoughts" mean we still believe we have some sort of power on what eventually happens. Prayer is actually the opposite of that. Prayer acknowledges that ultimately G-d (or the higher power we choose to pray to) is the one in control and that the outcome doesn't depend on how much energy we manage to attract by our own means.
    Furthermore what we want isn't necessarily what's best for us, so by praying we acknowledge that G-d does know and if the answer is "no", it's because that's what we need.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• "Prayer means you have no faith in yourself but rely on god to intervene for you."

LOL! No, that's nto what it means. But it does means that we realize that most things that happen to us are actually outside of our control. If you take an honest, objective look at what happens in your life, you really have control over very little of it. You have no control on the weather, on the economic situation of your country or the world, over the major decisions that affect where you live, on your body and whether or not disease starts and ends, over how other people act, etc. Our control is really limited to 2 areas: how we react to the things that happen to us and how much effort we put into having what we want (which includes prayer as well). Everything else... it's our of our control.
    Now, with good thoughts and putting the "faith" in yourself, you're really putting your faith in chance and randomness.

Continued....
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• I do believe both to be essentially the same. IF the prayer being sent out is done with a heart full of love instead of self righteusness and indignation, then I believe it to be a positive thing. And that positive energy is sent out into the Universe and will come back to us. If someone offers prayers when they know I am going through a difficult time, i welcome it as it is with a positive, loving heart.
    if someone says "I'm praying for you" after they see that I am an atheist, I do not welcome b/c that is done with a condescending heart.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• I disagree with the idea that a positive thought doesn't illicit a response or outcome. The whole idea is centered around the fact that it DOES very much produce an outcome. What we put out into the Universe, we get back. it may not be tomorrow, or next week, but it always comes back to us.
    I am currently living proof of this, that I could write a book about;)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2011

• i think they are very very similar. prayer just adds an exterior force. but imo both do very little if you dont get off your butt...the actions behind prayer/positive thoughts are more important than the act itself. its a form of self-fulfilling prophecy, whatever you convince yourself will happen is more likely to happen per your own actions. i will take prayers & positive thoughts all the same...its the intention behind it that matters to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2011