how can i potty train my son

my son is 2 1/2 and he knows the concept of going to the bathroom but is very stubborn and will not allow me to teach him.

ms.lovely100

Asked by ms.lovely100 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be patient some kids don't fully understand until they are 4 years old don't rush him he will eventually get it.
    I worked for a daycare and you would be surprised on how many children knew and did not know how to potty it really depends on the individual.
    You can try throwing (froot loops, cheerios) in the toilet and see if he can aim at them and go from there but I really think you should not make a big thing of it he will get it I promise. some learn by sitting while using the #2 or they learn by watching daddy. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I agree, dont rush it he will let you know when he is ready. The were a few things that i did with my son. I would sit him on the big potty backwards (he didnt like his potty chair) and poured luke warm water on him to give the sensation to go, this taught him to pee in the potty. I would give him a lollipop while he sat there, if he went he got to keep it, if he didnt and wanted to get down i took it away ( this worked until he realized he could bite it faster). we did the cherios, dishsoap to make bubbles, matchbox cars if he pooped. But the thing that worked the best was a chart he received a small toy each day with out accidents, after 2 weeks accident free he received a riding toy. On the chart we showed pictures so he knew what he was working for. Good Luck!
    prettyeyedmommy

Answer by prettyeyedmommy at 10:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I didn't potty train my son till he was three and thankfully it only took a week to do. I never did the put stuff in the potty though. We just really made a big deal when he went potty. I also woke him up before I went to bed to go get him to go so he wouldn't pee in the night. I know it sounds crazy. But a friend of mine had three kids and she did that with all them and it always worked. They are so asleep they almost dont realize what's going on. I just stood him in front of the toilet and said "go potty" and he always did. And he always fell right back to sleep!!! I never had to put pull ups on him at night. But your son may not be ready. And that's okay.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I have to agree with the other moms. With my children I put cloth pants on them during the day and he- they did not like being wet and soon became potty trained.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 30, 2010